[Course Import/Export] Set all to unpublished when Importing

Hi,

When I import content from another course, I would like all assignments and other content to be unpublished by default. Currently, when I copy course content, I need to click through all of the content to unpublish them if they were published in the old course.

Thanks,

Adam

Added to Theme

Simplify bulk course tasks Theme Status: Identified

66 Comments
thompsli
Community Champion

In many ways the Notifications issue is the most important piece here...students will not keep notifications turned on if they get "bursts" of 50+ irrelevant messages because multiple teachers are importing things near the start of the semester, and then will not get relevant notifications later in the semester about actual course changes because they turned the Irrelevant Noise Machine off back when everyone was importing things.

epatterson2
Community Explorer

Hi, I know it's been a while since there has been any comment on this idea.  But I would like to press for it to be re-evaluated - Teachers who are inheriting a course taught by a different instructor may not want to have any of their assignments published or notifications pushed out to students (whether or not they have students enrolled seems irrelevant overall - it's about making the instructors work eaiser, rather than going down a list of 174 or 181 days of assignments, events to make them unpublished seems like it should be a feature option when you select to copy a course or copy assignments or a single assignment.

wekelly
Community Novice

It is a huge waste of my time to go through unpublish every single item individually.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

sringsmuth
Community Participant

It's been three and a half years since this thread opened, and I'm not seeing this option available yet. Is there any chance it will be implemented in the near future?

nlatimer
Community Champion

Please implement this! It would help a lot on year-to-year course copies.

elliott
Community Novice

This is vital as more and more students opt in to push notifications for new Assignments.  The instant the content is imported, the notifications go out - and there's no way to prevent it without manually copying the content into new Assignments.

nlatimer
Community Champion

Rob, isn't the course itself unpublished after it's copied? I tell the teachers to clean up things like announcements and events, both of which cannot be unpublished, before they publish the course itself.

epatterson2
Community Explorer

Nancy, I think that when importing content, sometimes teachers are importing into a new course that already has students enrolled.  If you have the course unpublished yes, they won't get the notifications (maybe), but you still have to go and unpublish every single assignment, announcement, quiz, etc., etc.

nlatimer
Community Champion

Hi Ed,

We also import into new courses that have students already enrolled. But the new course is unpublished and no one gets notifications or sees any content, imported or otherwise, until it's published. In the meantime, you have to do your course cleanup, including, as you say, unpublishing every single item you do not want them to see.