[Course Import/Export] Set all to unpublished when Importing

Hi,

When I import content from another course, I would like all assignments and other content to be unpublished by default. Currently, when I copy course content, I need to click through all of the content to unpublish them if they were published in the old course.

Thanks,

Adam

Added to Theme

Simplify bulk course tasks Theme Status: Identified

66 Comments
lisadoty01
Community Member

On the Course Import page, users may select the course, specific content and adjust/shift/remove dates. Can the option to import content either published or unpublished be added?

Often, teachers import an entire course. Many teachers make Modules visible for students, hand-selecting which assignments to use at that level but leave Assignments invisible. However, any imported assignments/quizzes are also in the Assignment section. So, any unselected but imported assignments are still running in the background via the Assignment section.

Because assignments/quizzes import as published, any assignments the teacher has not moved into Modules will stay published within Assignments. The invisible content can create confusion because they aren't visible in Modules but will show up in the student's To-Do's or as late/missing. If the teacher has set only Modules as visible, it's difficult for students to access the items, but many still do by clicking in the Calendar or the To-Dos.

To eliminate confusion or require added steps of the teacher(s) after importing, could the option to import content in a published or unpublished state be made available? I think this would be proactive and time-saving on many levels.

bhaus
Community Explorer

I would really like for this option to be explored.

rossb
Community Member

When you course copy your old content, anything published already comes in published. It would be nice if you could check a box that will unpublish all incoming published items.

smragusa
Community Member

The professors that I work with would really appreciate the option to set copied/or imported content to an "unpublished" state. I would also like to have this added as a feature.  

johan_sandell
Community Member
Hi,

When I import content from another course, I would like all assignments and other content to be unpublished by default. Currently, when I copy course content, I need to click through all of the content to unpublish them if they were published in the old course.

sshub
Community Member

I absolutely agree!

xfang1
Community Member

This thread is 6 years old but the feature is still missing. As a programmer, feels it should not be hard to implement. Is there a place to request features?

BradMoser
Community Coach
Community Coach

Let's share this idea again. This would be super helpful for our teachers to be able to simple import the content directly into their new courses and not have all announcements posted, pages and modules published and assignments published. Currently, teachers are directed to import into a sandbox course and then manually go through and unpublish modules, pages, files, assignments, quizzes and announcement post dates. Then they are importing again into another course. It seems silly to have to do this twice. 

Let's make this a reality Canvas for all this holiday season!

AMYSHATZER
Community Novice

Totally agree!!! Would love to have the option to uncheck all for modules as the default. For instance, when you import a module from a previous semester you could quickly reset it instead of manually unchecking every bubble.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Everyone! I wanted to share that a related idea was just opened. If it would be helpful to you, please join the discussion and rate (star) the idea. Assignments and Quizzes Automatically Don't Publish When Copied