Improve Export features for Learning Mastery Gradebook

(8)

Improvements are needed to make the Learning Mastery gradebook more powerful and easier to use. One simple and easy improvement would be to add students' SIS ID numbers to the export report. Currently, only a students' Canvas/BLEND ID number is provided, which is useless for importing into our school district's official gradebook application.

In Austin ISD, we can import grades into our official gradebook, but it requires a spreadsheet in which each row includes a student ID number. 

We have noticed that the traditional grade book in Canvas/BLEND does include students’ SIS ID number in a second column in addition to their Canvas ID number. So we are hoping that this might be an easy fix on your end to add this component to the reports.

Improving the export functions in the Learning Mastery gradebooks will make adoption of Standards-Based Grading an easier transition by easing the grading burden on teachers.

12 Comments
MWilliams24
Community Participant

This is a great idea which is necessary if the Learning Mastery Gradebook is to be used in conjunction with external systems. The report still only includes students Canvas ID which is meaningless to systems outside of Canvas, and we have received feedback from our instructors that the SIS ID needs to included for the Learning Mastery Gradebook to be useful to them.

PeterTwining
Community Member

I agree that this is an important 'fix'.

Clearly the export from the Mastery Gradebook needs to include the SIS ID so that the data can be linked to the unique student IDs that are used in all the University's other admin systems. A student's Canvas ID is meaningless.

darren_ponman1
Community Participant

Please add SIS ID to Canvas Mastery gradebook export, real world functionality is extremely restricted without

breklis
Community Participant

The export is overly complicated as well, because of the extra columns.  Can we please remove the "out of" (mastery level) columns in the LMG export?  It would be much easier to have just one column per outcome with the students' overall outcome score included.  If this comment belongs with a different conversation, please point me in the right direction.  Thank you!

PeterTwining
Community Member

I agree with breklis - remove the 'out of' columns from the LMG export. (I've got around this by replacing any cell containing 'mastery points' with DELETE and then running a macro to delete any row with the heading DELETE - but this sort of manual manipulation of the data opens up possibilities for errors as well as taking time).

ikchoi
Community Member

Also please add a feature which enables us to select which outcome to export.  Currently, ALL learning outcomes are exported.

PeterTwining
Community Member

I agree with ikchoi. I am currently struggling with writing a macro in Excel to remove unwanted outcomes from each export. This needs to be changed for each set of outcomes that you want - it is a real problem.

a1671492
Community Member

This would be a great addition. Only have the canvas internal ID is quite limiting and we need the SIS id to make the report useful.

a1042141
Community Member

The SIS ID is essential in making this a worthwhile feature. The lack of SIS IDs in the export forces users to implement their own solution to reconcile Canvas IDs to SIS IDs, which is wasteful and needless, especially in light of how trivial it should be to include the SIS ID.

a1222006
Community Novice

Having the SIS ID would make my life easier.

Currently I've to download the regular gradebook export to get this information.

PeterTwining
Community Member
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived