Improve Grade One Question at a time

(12)
Idea is currently in development

First i still see the entire exam of one student, not just one question.  Second I am not able to look at a grade all of one particular question for ALL of my students at one time.  This gives a more consistency in grading and makes it go quicker.  Clicking through each student for each question takes a long time for it to load and when you are talking about 15-20 questions for 61 students that is a lot of going to the top of the screen and clicking and waiting. 

Originally posted by Jill Feinstein

Also requested by Kevin West and Ed Finn

Comments from Instructure

We have several related ideas we're tracking around this request:

Compile all essay responses to a quiz question on ...

Add Grade by Question Feature in New Quizzes

Improve Grade One Question at a time (this one)

New Quizzes: Grade by Question on one page

63 Comments
trr10
Community Novice

I was told by someone at my campus to head here to the ideas and submit. I did. Apparently, I was expected to trudge through the ideas to find this post. I'm here now. I posted elsewhere that I did an experiment and found that grading by hand on paper was almost 40% faster for me. That's absurd. This is a feature that every major LMS includes. I posted here today because I am currently in the process of rewriting exams for my fall semester to turn them into paper exams so I can avoid this monstrosity grading. 

I love a lot about Canvas, but this is an absolute necessity for any reasonable LMS. Not everyone gets to teach classes of 25 students, but even in those classes this is still cumbersome. 

Back to rewriting...

trr10
Community Novice

Hi all--since Canvas has ignored this issue for over 5 years now, I started looking for alternatives in the meantime. This is not going to work for everyone, and you probably need to check with the powers that be at your institution, but you can write quizzes with Google Forms and grade by question. 

astone2
Community Explorer

This needs to happen, this is a productivity issue and I will not be moving all my assessments over to Canvas because of this. I will be using other software such as quia and Microsoft/google forms until this is addressed.

remerick
Community Novice

It's been 4 years! Seriously, where are we with this?

remerick
Community Novice

Matt, loved your post... that was written a year ago and it looks like it's still not happening.

fmccown
Community Participant

I tried to use this option yesterday and was very, very frustrated. At times I'd move to the next student, and a score would magically appear in the textbox when I hadn't typed a score yet. When I finished grading all my exams, I noticed that some of my good students had unusually low scores. I went back to their exams and found scores that were completely wrong, like they had been taken from another student's exam. This buggy product really needs addressing.

jda121
Community Novice

This is the worst product and they have never addressed any of the complaints for grading and seeing all responses to a single question simultaneously.

remerick
Community Novice

I check this forum whenever I get frustrated with this part of Canvas (which is often). I keep hoping this issue will be addressed.

trr10
Community Novice

Update: It never will, but they will give you confetti and you will love it!

No one who works on the Canvas team has ever taught a class of more than 30 students. It cannot be possible. Even with 30 students, the lack of this feature is still annoying. It's inexcusable. 

If your university allows it, use Google Quizzes instead because this is ridiculous. 

trr10
Community Novice

I've had multiple meetings with TLT, and they have complained loudly. Canvas doesn't care. BUT, AT LEAST WE CAN SEE CONFETTI NOW!!!

Integrate Google Quizzes. I am told that they are open to working on integrating Google Quizzes at the Pollock Testing Center--that's the only reason I do not use it yet. 

remerick
Community Novice

Thanks, I will check out Google quizzes! 

remerick
Community Novice

Thanks, I will check out Google Quizzes!

jhubbard2
Community Novice

Like others, I would like to be able to see the answers for ALL of my students on one page for one particular question, be able to grade all consecutively on the same page, then hit one button to update grades for all students at the same time. This will be less time-consuming that having to update grade question 1, update their grade, then click the "next" button to go to the next student (and have to wait for their exam to load) and do it all over again. The current method is not useful. The only way I use the current "grade one question at a time" beta option is to skip questions (instead of having to scroll through the exam) to go from one ungraded question to the next within one student's exam. That's the only way it's really useful to me right now. I should mention that I oftentimes have nearly 100 exams to grade for a class, so again, the way the option is currently set up is very time consuming, and it's difficult to remember how you graded and responded on the earlier exams by the time you get halfway through the exams for that questions. If we had the option to see all student responses for one question on one screen, we can easily see how we responded to answers we already graded, and we can easily compare students' answers.

jhubbard2
Community Novice

Thanks for the info. I'm also frustrated with this, so I will also check out Google Quizzes.

jen_lewon
Community Novice

I agree. Canvas please update this feature/functionality! It is crazy how inefficient Speed Grader is at this time.

cdrowns
Community Member

Grading quizzes could be much more efficient and consistent between students if we were able to see all student responses to a single question within one page. This would eliminate the time scrolling, not having to click update and next student. And allow us to more easily check that similar answers were graded the same. This would be especially helpful in fill in the blank questions where assuming most students get the answer correct I would only need to scan pregraded responses for errors in spelling or rounding, modify scores for those questions and go on to the next problem cutting the time needed to grade an assessment significantly.

MikeM
Community Participant

Plus one on this idea. This was one of the things that Blackboard actually did well. Load one page with all of the students responses to one question. The wrong ones would be flagged and we can scroll down quickly to address the ones that need manual grading. There is nothing speedy about the way speed grader handles this now. Hope this gets on a a to do list soon... 

Mike

boylermaker
Community Member

Old quizzes can be graded one-question-at-a-time:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-grade-one-quiz-question-at-a-time-in-Sp...

This is by far the superior way to grade subjective questions that could be awarded a range of points, as doing the same question for all students helps you be consistent across students.

I do not understand why this feature is not available in New Quizzes.

tracie_kleman
Community Explorer

Grade by Question Feedback:

While it's great to be able to read and grade all one short answer or essay question at a time, honor's students inevitably have their notifications triggered when only one part of an entire quiz is graded. Panic ensues. They think they've scored a 4/20 when in fact they've gotten a 4/4 on a question. Can notifications not go out until an ENTIRE QUIZ or TEST is graded?  Conscientious students (and their parents) thank you, as do frazzled teachers. 

j_h_tetlow
Community Participant

Markers need to be able to grade one question at a time. This aids their marking process as they can then keep all the marking criteria in mind for an individual question, and then the marking process is more efficient, consistent and quicker.