Improve Math Editor

0 Likes
(2)

Recently it was announced that MathJax can be used in the Rich Content Editor's Math Editor to write LaTeX code to create advanced math expressions. But it would be smoother and more professional to use symbols in the Canvas Math Editor that are driven unseen in the background by LaTeX code. 

The following math expressions need LaTeX code in the Canvas Math Editor but can VERY  quickly be generated in the Microsoft Equation Editor without the need for any complicated LaTeX code. These expressions were "copied" from a Word document and "pasted" into this feature enhancement request dialog box.

Yes Canvas has many great features. But if I was given a choice I would rather be able to use icons to create the math expressions below than send a video in the Canvas calendar to a student to remind the student that his/her homework was not handed in. 

VHDL2STA_1-1611880382217.png

VHDL2STA_2-1611880382219.png

VHDL2STA_3-1611880382220.png

VHDL2STA_4-1611880382221.png

VHDL2STA_5-1611880382225.png

VHDL2STA_6-1611880382226.png

VHDL2STA_7-1611880382226.png

VHDL2STA_8-1611880382227.png

8 Comments
ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

VHDL2STA
Community Member
Author

I recently gave a webinar at my college, Palm Beach State College, about the weaknesses of the Canvas Math Editor and the workarounds to these weaknesses. The conclusion is the Canvas MUST make the Math Editor look like MathType. Blackboard has MathType in its editor so Canvas MUST as well. Here is a link to my presentation:

https://palmbeachstate-elearning.mediaspace.kaltura.com/media/t/1_d9zl4nob

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: In Development

VHDL2STA
Community Member
Author

Hi Stefanie,

Thanks for the great "In Development" news.

An improved Canvas Math Editor will be much appreciated by Canvas users at all levels, K-12 through 2-year colleges and universities,

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@VHDL2STA  Unfortunately, although we continue to work on this, our engineers' priorities have had to shift, meaning this one has dropped off the near-term roadmap. We've changed the status back to Open for Conversation—for now.

VHDL2STA
Community Member
Author

Stefanie,

I am very sad for the Canvas Community that improving the Canvas Math Editor has been "dropped off the near-term roadmap".  Creating math symbols and expressions is not just for post K-12 STEM teachers and students. Many of the conversations that agree with the need to improve the Canvas Math Editor came from K-12 teachers who are teaching core real-world topics to students who are not pursuing a STEM career.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

Hi! With the start of a new year, Instructure has adjusted the Product Roadmap and priorities. Instructure hopes to revisit this idea again in the future.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.