[SpeedGrader] Improve Student DocViewer Comment View/Accessibility

Students are limited to a miniature window through which to view what can be some detailed teacher comments on written assignments using the SpeedGrader CrocDoc function. To see comments teachers have written using the red pointing arrow on the document itself, students must shift the miniature window while following the yellow dotted line to the actual comment that is positioned in the far margins of the document. And they must do it all while reading what amounts to 5-point fonts. Students cannot maximize this small screen. Downloading the document as an "annotated PDF" does no good either. The "annotations" include only the red arrows, but no comments.

Added to Theme

26 Comments
phkim
Community Member

Is there anything we can do to help expedite this improvement process?

Paul Kim, Ph.D.

Chief Technology Officer & Assistant Dean

Stanford University Graduate School of Education

520 Galvez Mall #3001

Stanford, CA 94305

johan_graus
Community Novice

I really find it quite difficult to understand why this issue has not been resolved yet. We spend so much time giving feedback on students' work expecting them to use it when revising their assignments, but what's the use if (1) it's difficult to find the annotations to start with; (2) once they have located it, they're unable to read it because it's in a miniature window; (3) the work-around (downloading an annotated PDF) is not very user-friendly and often does not even display correctly on many devices.

Come on, Canvas. This shouldn't be so difficult! And pointing to Crocodoc is a bit of a cop-out. You're responsible for your product regardless of whether you use third-party technology.

dshowley
Community Novice

I agree with Johan Graus's point above. @Chrisi Wruck, could you please assure us that Canvas is demanding that CrocDoc improve such a deficient feature, especially considering the number of users who took the time to Vote Up and the many who so convincingly commented here on why it's a fix that must be made?

snugent
Community Champion

Deactivated user‌ Can you give us an update on this feature request since the new Doc Viewer tools have been announced? Will there be future updates that improves the student experience? 

Anna_Shaver
Community Participant

This discussion has a lot in common with https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3254-making-feedback-more-visible-to-students?sr=search&search...‌, which has been an ongoing discussion about the SpeedGrader window. I would definitely like to know whether the student view and the instructor view will be more similar in Doc Viewer.

cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Yes snugent‌! We are working on that right now, actually! The Submission Details page will soon get a light upgrade that will make it much easier for students to immediately see feedback.

We're also going to be debuting a feature soon that highlights instructor feedback on the dashboard a bit more. Smiley Happy

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@dshowley ‌

Your idea is very specific to the layout and fonts that were used in Crocodoc.  Have you had a chance to explore the new DocViewer to see if your concerns were addressed?  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10542-4212352349?sr=search&searchId=08721eb8-9ae9-4fb9-a613...

dshowley
Community Novice

I just recently used the new comment features in CrocDoc. They are MUCH improved, both from my and the student's perspective. Thank you!

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

Anna_Shaver
Community Participant

The full-screen option helps a lot! But it's still pretty hard to actually find the feedback in the first place (even possibly with the guidance you linked, Renee. It's hard to find the "view feedback" link and fullscreen links on even a medium-small standard (1280x1024) monitor, as you can see in these screen shots:

257494_screenshot.1.jpg

You'd have to know to scroll right in the iframe to see the View Feedback button here

257519_screenshot.2.jpg

Too many scrollbars, and no obvious fullscreen option. Most of my students would just close this and back away.

Thanks for the improvements! Keep 'em coming! Smiley Happy

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey, Joel!

Our product team hasn't forgotten about this idea and are trying to prioritize it as quickly as they can. Since you've left this comment, our team has made small changes to try and improve the current experience; the View Feedback button is also more prominently placed so that students can find it regardless of their browser size, and DocViewer itself just got some additional updates that may help them, too. Just wanted to let you know!

Thanks,

Erin