Improve implementation of rubrics

0 Likes
(4)

I would like to be able to create one or more rubrics in a class, easily attach them to assignments, and retain the ability to modify the original rubric and have it updated in all unpublished or ungraded assignments.

Currently you can create a rubric associated with a course, but it can't easily be used in the course.  To attach the rubric to an assignment, I go into the assignment and click "+Rubric", but instead of getting a list of rubrics I've developed for this course, I get a (long) list of courses that I have taught in canvas that I have to sort through to find this course and then select the rubric.  The current course should be the default and the rubrics created for this course should be available with a single click after hitting "+Rubric"

Secondly, if I create one standard rubric and assign it to all of my homework assignments and then I realize that I want to change something on it (even a trivial change such as fixing a typo) I am told I can't change a rubric that has already been assigned.   I am forced to delete the rubric from all of the assignments first, then make the change, then add it again.  I understand that there should be protections against changing an instance of the rubric that has already been used for grading, but for assignments that are not yet due, or even haven't been published, this seems completely unnecessary, and instead could be addressed with a prompt asking if you want to apply the changes to every instance of the rubric already used, or just update the rubric for the ungraded or unpublished assignments.

Tags (1)
1 Comment
Naomi
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Hi @peter_beyersdor,

There are two feature ideas that currently exist that speak to what you're hoping to see in Canvas (Finding Rubrics and Allow global rubric editing). If you'd like to support those ideas, you can add a comment and/or kudo them. Because similar ideas exist, I have archived your idea. 

Naomi