Improve quiz "times up" dialog box

0 Likes
(13)

When a student is completing a classic quiz with a time limit, and has not submitted before the time limit elapses, they will see a pop-up dialog box:

0f318f5e-4769-4db3-88cd-aa0f7d077eac.png

The box shows a 10 second countdown, and has two buttons:

1. [x]
  2. "Ok, fine"

This creates confusion for students as it suggests that (a) the student has 10 seconds left, and (b) clicking one or both of the buttons on the pop-up will return the student to the quiz for a few final seconds.

However, from the documentation, we see that this is not the intent of the dialog box:

"If you do not submit a timed quiz before the time runs out, Canvas displays a pop-up box telling you that your quiz time has expired. The quiz automatically submits after the ten-second count down [1], or you can click the Ok, fine button or Close icon to submit your quiz [2]."

So the confusion lies in:

• Both buttons do the same undesirable thing (submit the quiz).
  • This dialog shows a 10 second countdown, when the student's time limit has already elapsed.
  • The dialog box says "submitting results" when it would be more accurate to say "submitting responses"

Timed quizzes are a high-stress, high-anxiety environment, and concluding a student's ability to enter quiz answers with a confusing dialog box, and a very short countdown instills a punishing level of anxiety for students.

My suggestions to improve this dialog box:

1. Change language and get rid of count-down timer. My suggested language is "Times up. Your results have been submitted automatically. (Button:) [Ok]" (This is similar in clarity to how New Quizzes handles it).

2. Change language and keep count-down timer: "Times up. Your responses will be automatically submitted in [10] seconds. (Button:) [Submit responses now]"

Tags (1)
5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@milesl 

Thanks for sharing this feedback. Our product teams are no longer developing new functionality on the code base for Old (Classic) Quizzes, which is scheduled for deprecation, so we've archived the idea.

If your request is directed at changing the wording around the documentation for the old quiz tool, please share your request via the form link at the bottom of How do I take a quiz?

Thanks.

milesl
Community Contributor

@Stef_retired 

This is a bug fix, and it should be unarchived. Our CSM, and other contacts have reiterated that Instructure is committed to addressing bug fixes in classic quizzes.

The text that appears ("submitting results") is incorrect, and should be addressed as a bug.

(As long as Instructure is fixing that bug, I would hope that they see the value in completing the accompanying feature request, and fixing the confusing language and user experience of an inexplicable countdown timer, and two buttons that do the same unexpected same thing.)

Classic quizzes deprecation is 18+ months away, and until major progress is made to bring New Quizzes in parity with Classic, there is no suitable alternative tool available. I continue to believe that Instructure's decision to not make improvements to Classic Quizzes is the wrong one, and will prove untenable as it continues to create pain for teachers and students. I look forward to this decision being reconsidered.

YuxinZhang
Community Member

@Stef_retired 

Please do reconsider unarchiving this discussion.

We, at UBC, completely agree with this idea. Students who are taking the quizzes, especially during exams, are stressed enough with trying to complete the exam. They do not need to have a box pop up in the last 10 seconds forcing them to submit the quiz when they are trying to complete a question. In addition, the "Ok, fine" can be very frustrating to see as it can come off as cold.

While classic quizzes are being deprecated, it would be nice to be able to change this small thing so students will have a better time with quizzes/exams.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@YuxinZhang  Unfortunately, we won't be able to continue the prioritization process for this in Idea Conversations, inasmuch our team is not developing any new features or functionality for Classic Quizzes. That said, we understand the consternation this particular feature might cause among students. We hope you will bring greater visibility to this issue by submitting a support case, then sharing the case number and circumstances with your school's CSM to see if they can assist with a solution. By all means include the link to this idea conversation in the ticket description field so the support agent recognizes the purpose behind creating the case.

Thanks!

laurelp
Community Participant

I'm just adding that I agree with others that this absolutely needs to be addressed. Our university's IT team has told me they have no intention of letting us use New Quizzes until it's absolutely necessary. And we get complaints from students EVERY QUARTER about this timer box issue. It is unfair to them and confusing.