[New Quizzes] Improve the warning when a student is running out of time

Canvas has a feature which gives a warning when the student is running out of time (60 minutes left, 5 minutes left, 1 minute left). However, this warning is a small pop-up that is open for five seconds.

When I have students working on problems, they can easily miss this warning. It should be improved by doing at least one of the following (and preferably both):

• Being larger, more visible, perhaps flashing
  • Playing a sound

Currently, there does not seem to be any way to do this, or have an audio file play when the quiz starts. (I've seen references to creating links which allow the students to play sounds, but this would be automatic.)

Added to Theme

13 Comments
Naomi
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

kimhan
Community Explorer

I like the idea of a sound and a box that pops up that is bold so that it is noticeable.  I was looking for something that would warn my students that there was 15 minutes, 5 minutes, and 2 minutes left.

krystina_lange1
Community Novice

- My students feel anxious when there is a warning about only 5 minutes left. Can this please be an optional setting or taken away altogether

Kelvin_Dean
Community Contributor

At this time, when we tested it out, it only shows one warning when there are less than 30 seconds remaining.

krystina_lange1
Community Novice

I had a student tell me they received a 5 minute warning one! Not sure why and if its a setting but I didn't post anything

krystina_lange1
Community Novice

I just asked my entire class and they all received one at 5 and then again at 1 minute

checkma
Community Participant

Yes, 5 minutes and 1 minute are the times for the warning message. (Students also get one at 60 minutes.)

Making these adjustable, or not having a warning at all, should be an option as well.

wardex
Community Explorer

Would love to have more control over the timer. 

ejj16
Community Novice

I believe it would be beneficial to have a sound notification when time is running out.  I was working a Physics problem and never saw the pop up until it was seconds away from lock out, I couldn't type my answer fast enough.  Having a sound chime at 2 minutes would have eliminated missing the answer. 

ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open