Improved error handling around file upload

0 Likes
(4)

When uploading a file, there was an error message: 

elymar_0-1604616019864.png

The issue is that it's not informative enough. Going into the developer console I was able to pull out more information: 

{"message":"file size exceeds quota"}

I suggest to propagate the message to the UI

5 Comments
Naomi
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

cbennell1
Community Member

I totally agree! Our teachers bump into this problem all the time. It's a problem they could solve themselves, rather than contacting support. Thank you. 

BCullen_
Community Member

I've just come across the "Request Failed with status code of 400". After some investigating via Course Settings > Course Statistics > File Storage I was able to see that I was actually out of space as the file I was uploading was large.

I really think having semantic statements for the errors instead of codes would be extremely helpful for the end user e.g. "File not uploaded, storage quota exceeded" instead of the error 400 code.

Regards,

B. Cullen

depdavid
Community Novice

Designing an app, My first rule is I shouldn't need a calculator with an app. Same goes with the app knowing what's going on.

I try to upload an image file and I get a dumb message:

'Something went wrong'.

The error got triggered because my file store was full (238% - a different crazy issue).

Canvas should do several things:

• Tell me my file storage is full (since it knows that's the problem).
  • Include a link to the File Storage management, with instructions on how much storage is available and how to delete.

This is the essence of what a well designed app UI is supposed to do.

Thank you. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.