[Import/Export] Improvements to Copy To feature.

I currently have courses set up for each of my classes. Over the course of teaching them, several classes may share the same curricular content. Our team has build a shared collaborative course in a manner similar to blueprint courses (a feature we do not have access to in our district). If we want to copy individual items out, the Copy To menu option works well. However, I see two improvements that can be made. First, an image for reference for the ideas:

Copy To Improvements.PNG

At point A, it would be helpful if there was an option to checkbox multiple courses. I know there are posts in the community that talk about using Commons to copy content to multiple courses. Adding such an option here just provides another avenue to increase efficiency for teachers. I do not want to share content to Commons publicly due to copyrighted materials, and sharing to a private Commons group increases the steps for those teachers, particularly when we have already built a shared course. Right now, I have to copy, then close the Copy To menu, only to open it again if I want to copy to another course.  Currently being discussed in another idea conversation. See comments for a link.

At point B, it would be helpful if there was an option to increase the indent for the item being copied. Right now, I have to copy the item over to the other course, then go to the other course to increase the indent. Adding this would save some steps, particularly if there is more than one level of indent used. 

Feasibly, at point B, we could also add a checkbox for whether to publish or not publish the item. This could also help eliminate a few steps currently required.

Added to Theme

Simplify bulk course tasks Theme Status: Identified

7 Comments
ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Hi @JeffCampbell,

Thanks for sharing your idea. I see there is already an idea for copying to multiple courses: Copying Assignments to Multiple Classes - Canvas Community.

However, I do not see another indent idea like you have mentioned. If you don't mind, may I edit this idea so it focuses on the indent?

Cody

JeffCampbell
Community Contributor
Author

Hello @ctitmus,

I had seen that conversation, but missed that it was open for conversation. I had seen the discussion of using Blueprint courses within that topic, hence mentioning that we do not have that option available. 

I can edit the idea real quick and add feedback to the other discussion.

Thank you,

ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks, @JeffCampbell!!

lettgo583
Community Participant

When using "copy to" to copy a page to another course, it does not bring the linked course items with it. For example the page contains a link to an assignment and a link to a quiz but neither of those items are copied to the target course. 

When copying a page with links, it would make sense that we'd want the related course items that are linked. Unless I'm missing something here ... anyone else wanting this improvement? 

(Yes, I know that we can still go back to each of those assignments and quizzes and "copy to" those individually.) 

Thanks!

MattiasAlexande
Community Novice

When copying an object that's published in the source course it's inevitably published in the target course, which is annoying because often I want to edit it and make some adjustment for the target course. A simple "Publish" check-box on the copying interface would fix the problem. And if you ask me it should be unchecked by default, but that's a minor detail.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme