In Permissions, Separate "Add/remove students for the course" into 2 permissions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Please change each the "Add/remove students for the course" from a single setting to two separate settings.

Current:

Add/remove students for the course

Should become:

• Add students to a course
  • Remove students from a course

Per Cosme Salazar in More granular permissions for admins and In Permissions, Change "ADD, EDIT, and DELETE" into Three Separate Settings I have divided out the multiple functionality settings into their own requests. There are now 10 separate requests.

30 Comments
gladysie
Community Contributor

Currently this permission also includes "Allows user to view student login/sis id information.".  If changed, being able to view a student's login/sis id should be covered by Read SIS Data (Why it isn't already is beyond me).

We have also been struggling with the permissions, trying to create a support role for our student workers.  They need to be able to see certain account information for troubleshooting and call logging for all users and the way permissions are setup make it very difficult to give them access to the screens that contain the information they need with out giving them permissions that can actually alter the course or information.

kansalak
Community Explorer

The permissions need to be separated for each process. The administration should be able to decide who can add or who can delete students or courses.

elisabeth_green
Community Participant

This is an issue for our support staff as well!

Jeff_F
Community Champion

Is there a secret decoder ring that shows when a certain permission includes other permissions with the setting?  I've run into this a few times and it forces me to give a higher level of permission than desired.  For example: the ability to delete sections when I want supervisory faculty to be able to simply see unpublished course content. 

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

There is this guide Canvas Account Role Permissions that is supposed to explain which permissions have unseen items associated with it.

There is also one for Canvas Course Role Permissions.

John_Lowe
Community Champion

To piggy-back on these great suggestions, I'd also recommend that the "View all students' submissions AND make comments on them" be split into two permissions.  At Baylor, we use Dropout Detective by AspirEDU.  Their system needs to be able to see if students have submitted assignments.  However, in order to let them view student submissions, I have to enable “View all students’ submissions AND MAKE COMMENTS ON THEM” (emphasis mine).

elisabeth_green
Community Participant

Hi John,

I recommend making this a separate request so we can vote on it.  :}

John_Lowe
Community Champion

No thanks.  See this thread .  I'd rather get my comments before the developers in this stage of gathering info.  Smiley Happy

BROEKERC
Community Novice

Rationale: Permissions needs to be unbundled to allow for different permissions based on functional role.

cdoherty
Community Participant

Rationale for Stanford: We would likely want more teaching staff users to be able to add students/guests, but would want to prevent accidental deletion by TAs, perhaps even instructors.