In Permissions, Separate "Manage (add/edit/delete) assignments and quizzes" into 3 permissions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-09-18).

Please change each the  "Manage (add/edit/delete) assignments and quizzes" from a single setting to three separate settings.

Current:

Manage (add / edit / delete) assignments and quizzes

Should become:

• Add assignments and quizzes
  • Edit assignments and quizzes
  • Delete assignments and quizzes

One reason for this request:

This will allow you to set TAs (or other roles) to only having the permissions needed. For example, just the ability to edit assignments but not delete or add one.

27 Comments
kona
Community Champion

Yep, that was the issue with this TA. She thought it was just "her" view and she didn't want to see it anymore.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you all for the additional feedback.  I do understand your need.  We are looking at how we can prioritize this in all of the additional work planned for 2016.  I do not have a timeline, but will share more when I am able.

Kind regards,

Jason

millerjm
Community Champion

We need some support for our case that the permissions available in Canvas are not sufficient for our needs.  Above is the update that Allison Weiss posted to many of our feature ideas.  She is asking for use cases for granularity and we really need to justify each and every one.  I made a document to track discussions and feature ideas related to permissions: 

Canvas Permissions and Granularity Feature Ideas

This is the sort of information that would assist in getting these changes made during this permissions audit.  This information would need to be added as comments to the individual feature ideas, and if it needs to be pasted to more than one, then please do that.  I know it's tiresome to post the same thing again and again, even though someone else has already done it, but they need to see that it's not just 5 people with these issues!  We haven't gotten much traction because we haven't had enough use cases posted but my document above seems to have gotten some attention.

• What has the current user permissions "bundling" and lack of granularity cost you in terms of support and functionality?
  • What permissions have you HAD to grant to someone simply to allow them to be able to do their job, that you would have rather NOT given?
  • What permissions have you had to DENY giving someone because it gave them access to something that you could not due to security, concern about causing trouble, etc.?
  • What other qualms do you have about things?
  • What things have cost you more in staff hours because of denying access to someone, means that your department had to research, do work, etc, on behalf of a user that would have been able to do their work if the permissions were granular?

Thank you!

Joni

I'm also tagging  @kona ​ and cms_hickss​  since they have been so involved in getting attention to these feature ideas. 

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

Hi Deactivated user​, I really enjoyed your presentation on the new Quiz Tool at InstructureCon. With the plan of new quizzing tool are new granular permissions/roles being developed at the same time?

erodriguez7314
Community Novice

What my institution would like to be able to do is modify the TA permissions to not have access to the quizzes/exams. Currently it allows them full access and the instructor on record does not want them to be able to view them. This is highly important!!

millerjm
Community Champion

Elizabeth Rodriguez, I would recommend talking to your CSM about this and let them know how important it is to you because almost all of these Canvas Permissions and Granularity Feature Ideas​ have been archived and will not be worked on in the near future.  Smiley Sad

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

An alternative would be to simply 'uncouple' quizzes and assignments and have them as two separate permissions. We would desperately like to have students able to create quizzes for Canvas but not also have permissions to edit Assignments!

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

I am betting that this is already in the works since Quizzes 2.0 will be an LTI. At least, that is my hope (that this is the plan).

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.