In Permissions, Separate "Manage (create/edit/delete) course sections" into 3 permissions

Please change each the "Manage (create / edit / delete) course sections" from a single setting to three separate settings.

Current:

Manage (create / edit / delete) course sections

Should become:

• Create course sections
  • Edit course sections
  • Delete course sections

One reason for this request:

This would allow you to set a Sub-Account Manager or Course Designer (or other roles) to having only the permissions needed for that role instead of none of them or all of them. For example, the ability to create course sections but not to edit or delete them.

Note: There is this one as well, In Permissions, Separate Manage (add/edit/delete) courses into 3 permissions  (this is for the same thing but with courses and not sections)

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-06-19).

27 Comments
l_lucas
Community Participant

I am sorry if this has already been dealt with elsewhere but can we separate ' manage (create/edit/delete & PUBLISH) PAGES

I have a usecase where we are running a course over a semester - and we make 4 weeks of content available a time for students to engage in. At the moment I have imported the entire 6 months of content - but have only published the first 4 weeks for students to access. Whilst this is happening I have asked Subject Matter Experts (SME) to review and edit the remaining content ready for publishing. The only way to allow the SME's to edit pages is to also give them access to delete & publish those same pages - and there is danger in both these options.

Seperating these features on a page level would be very useful

Lex

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: On Beta

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

The Courses - add / edit / delete permission has been grouped into five separate permissions. This change provides granularity among the five options to manage courses. This update does not affect Canvas APIs.

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-06-19).

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme