In Permissions, Separate "Manage wiki (add/edit/delete pages)" into 3 permissions

Please change each the "Manage wiki (add / edit / delete pages)" from a single setting to three separate settings.

Current:

Manage wiki (add / edit / delete pages)

Should become:

• Add wiki pages
  • Edit wiki pages
  • Delete wiki pages

One reason for this request:

This would allow you to set TAs (or other roles) to having only the permissions needed for that role instead of none of them or all of them. For example, just the ability to add and edit wiki pages but not delete them.

Per Cosme Salazar in More granular permissions for admins and In Permissions, Change "ADD, EDIT, and DELETE" into Three Separate Settings I have divided out the multiple functionality settings into their own requests. There are now 10 separate requests.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-06-20) 

21 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Just a reminder that this idea will open for voting in just under a week, on August 5th.

elisabeth_green
Community Participant

This would be great- I have my students contribute to a class wiki page but have to worry about someone accidentally (or "accidentally") deleting the page, so they have to submit through me and I have to make all the changes.

BROEKERC
Community Novice

Rationale: this functionality is needed as faculty have requested that their TAs be able to add or edit wiki pages but they don't want TAs to delete wiki pages. This is also needed in courses where there are multiple faculty. Having this functionality would eliminate the accidental deletions that happen now.

cdoherty
Community Participant

Rationale for Stanford: It's important to allow TAs to create content, but to restrict the delete permission to prevent accidental deletion of content.

millerjm
Community Champion

We have some clinical faculty who may need to be able to add pages, but not edit or delete existing content. 

We have instructional support staff who may need to be able to add or edit pages but not delete. 

Taking away the delete button from anyone who doesn't need it just makes sense, especially since it would affect the students in a course. 

We have a lot of accidental deletions that happen due to goblins in team taught courses. 

csalazar
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This seem like another situation where the primary concern is the delete functionality. I will see what kind of effort this would be and will post an update there.

-Cosme

millerjm
Community Champion

Cosme,

As stated in my post directly above: 

We have instructional support staff who may need to be able to add or edit pages but not delete.

millerjm
Community Champion

Honestly, there are so many separate feature ideas based on the original idea that I'm assuming we all got tired of posting use cases for each one since the answer is always the same. 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

We do appreciate the time users put into articulating and detailing the use cases.  It is difficult to justify or develop a change when an individual does not understand why!  The Community plays a very important role in the 'why'!  Thank you

millerjm
Community Champion

Renee, I'm trying to get people to post some more "why" responses for all of these.