In moderated assignment allow Students to see annotations and comments of separate markers

0 Likes
(1)

The moderated assignment is a great option but we also need our students to be able to see the in-text annotations (in Speed Grader) and comments of separate markers (not only the final moderated one).
It would be nice to be able to turn on/off this feature on the admin side.

9 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

a1063023
Community Explorer

Yes, this is essential. I have requested this in the past. In addition, we should be able to set the final grade as the average of all moderators.

a1063023
Community Explorer

This has been brought up multiple times. E.g.:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Moderated-Grading-Average/idi-p/448518

The entire moderated assessment approach needs an overhaul. We have group assignments but you can't have moderated group assignments (for...reasons?). So I have to have one student submit the assignment in the group, which means only that one student will see the feedback.

We also have two assessors. But you can't see comments from more than one assessor (for...reasons?). So I have TWO assessment submissions for the students to submit to, both set up to be moderated assignments so that the assessors can't see the marks of the other assessors.

It's taken me several years of trial and error to figure out the right combination of bizarre settings to get to where we are now... it's hopeless, to be honest.

Vitalii
Community Explorer
Author

Thank you @a1063023 for your comment, for our organisation, it's also confusing and makes us find workarounds (like using Google Sheet for tutors to communicate and then moderator posting the final combined comment). It's not efficient and took a lot of time to decide what and how to do it this year.

@Stef_retired Thanks for opening this idea for the conversation. Hopefully, this request will be implemented in the nearest future.

Warmly,
Vitaliy

kyh802
Community Explorer

I want to vomit EVERYWHERE because of this issue. I did not realize that the annotations given by the assessors would DISAPPEAR when I posted the final grade. Now my students are missing all the useful feedback that my TA took 37 hours of their time to write. I am so upset by this and by how useless Canvas is. When I changed the grades and accepted the changed grade, there was NO WARNING that the annotations would disappear. Sure, in the tutorial of using moderating grading, it explains that, but that's not helpful in the moment. I shouldn't have to do a massive search and re-read of a tutorial every time I use a tool in Canvas.

kyh802
Community Explorer

I want to vomit EVERYWHERE because of this issue. I did not realize that the annotations given by the assessors would DISAPPEAR when I posted the final grade. Now my students are missing all the useful feedback that my TA took 37 hours of their time to write. I am so upset by this and by how useless Canvas is. When I changed the grades and accepted the changed grade, there was NO WARNING that the annotations would disappear. Sure, in the tutorial of using moderating grading, it explains that, but that's not helpful in the moment. I shouldn't have to do a massive search and re-read of a tutorial every time I use a tool in Canvas.

a1063023
Community Explorer

@kyh802 — I can only imagine what you've been through, I'm so sorry to hear. In our case it was "only" a few lengthy honours projects that were annotated with all comments lost. Still, probably a good 10 hours by senior academics down the drain. 

I tried to escalate this with Canvas at the time and they claimed to understand the problems they are causing us, but that didn't translate into anything on the roadmap as far as I know 😞

kyh802
Community Explorer

Thanks, @a1063023, for the sympathy. Thankfully, working with our IT (Canvas themselves were no help), we found that the TA could still access their comments, so they downloaded the annotated pdfs and emailed them to me to upload for the students. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.