In module settings, hide the sequential order checkbox until completion requirements are set

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

This is copied from the old community, original submitted by Tom Gibbons on March 19th, 2015:

Hide the "Students must move through requirements in this module in sequential order" checkbox until at least one completion requirement is set. Even the video guide is misleading in the language used to describe this process: https://player.vimeo.com/video/72433447 Around the 1:55 mark, it says that this checkbox requires students to move through the module content items in sequential order, not that it requires students to move through the *module requirements* in sequential order. Hiding this checkbox until it will actually do something would ensure that the setting isn't applied incorrectly.

My addition:

As an alternative to hiding the checkbox until requirements are defined, give a warning message if a user tries to save the "Students must move..." setting without adding requirements. Something like...

64571_DefineRequirements.jpgDefineRequirements.jpg

Comments from Instructure

For more information on the release of this feature, and others, please review the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-10-31)

20 Comments
erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey Deactivated user​ and  @tom_gibbons ​ (and  @Renee_Carney ​),

Okay so what happened is that the Modules engineers are working on an enhancement for Modules that is currently behind a feature flag. However, this change is one of the items that seemed to have escaped the flag... so it's now a benefit to you until the entire thing comes out, which should be pretty soon.

Enjoy!

Erin

tom_gibbons
Community Contributor

Woo!

Thanks Deactivated user​, erinhallmark​ and  @Renee_Carney ​!

tdelillo
Community Champion
Author

I am beyond excited about the fact that this feature snuck in. I am kind of sad that it wasn't announced somewhere. The fall term started this week, and I'm kind of surprised that nobody asked me where the "sequential order" box went. I hate being caught off-guard Smiley Wink

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has been developed and is available on Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2015-10-19)

tom_gibbons
Community Contributor

Thanks,  @Renee_Carney  It's also running in prod! See Aug 26, above.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This Feature is Complete!

For more information on the release of this feature, and others, please review the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-10-31)

ROI.png

Thank you to  @tdelillo  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @tom_gibbons  and  @powellj  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy

tmckamey
Community Explorer

So I'm just reading this thread now in 2021, and I fell into this same trap described in this thread, so it doesn't seem like whatever changes have been implemented have been effective. The wording to the option is STILL really confusing! 

I like the suggestion by Tom Gibbons "​I think most people read this box as all module items, rather than required module items." is correct and I think the button should just work that way. I don't want to list all the items in my module to make the required. I just want to say, complete all the items and Canvas should know to do that. Why make me list them? 

I don't need them to be sequential, but that should be an option. I just never knew I had to actually add the items to the "requirements" list...guh. I'm so mad at how much time Ive lost on this.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed