Inbox Folders

(2)
It would be beneficial if we had the option to create folders to sort messages in the Inbox.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

8 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

182945_pastedImage_3.pngThank you for your Feature Idea submission. We wanted to call your attention to   which was submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes or inadequate response. You may want to reference this idea for insight.

Since archived ideas can be re-submitted, your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers as well.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. June 1, 2016 - Wed. September 7, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

DrNufer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm looking forward to seeing how this feature will develop.  At this point I keep my entire inbox current for the term and then archive everything once the grades are in.  But sometimes I teach various courses for various programs.  Right now I am teaching one class in three different programs at my institution.  It does get a little cluttered in that inbox. 

cward
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Communications tools are something we'd love to attack in 2017, but unfortunately we won't have much capacity until probably 2018. We'll keep this idea in Product Radar, as I think it's a great idea.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

dpalmer2
Community Novice

I would love to see this feature added. Other platforms I have used have had it and it makes tracking messages so much easier and keeps the inbox less cluttered. This seems like such a simple thing to add that would make a big difference. 

cbb22
Community Member

Can we get this feature added? My school recently switched from Google Classroom to Canvas and the email functionality on Canvas leaves a lot to be desired compared to Google. Folders would be incredibly useful and practical, as would have the same consistency of rich text editor/UI improvements generally in the inbox. Right now the inbox feels like it's a decade outdated.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Our Product Team reviewed some of our oldest feature proposals recently, and this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

The Product Team currently focuses on the Discussions Redesign as a prioritized response to customer feedback. As such, they don't have plans to make updates to Inbox within the next year. With the transition to data-driven design, we are in the VERY early stages of investigating improvement opportunities and have noted this feedback. We will continue documenting/researching trends/patterns for future updates.