Inbox - select more than one student at a time versus entire class or individual

0 Likes

Sometimes I need to message part of a class but not all.  The current Inbox options allow me to either select the entire class or select each student one at a time to add to the message.  Any solution that would allow me to select a one time subset of the class would be great.  One potential solution that could work for smaller class could be that when I select the entire class, they are listed individually and then I can delete the individuals that do not apply to the message.  The other option would be to allow me to check which individuals should receive a message versus just clicking on one name.  This would work easily when messaging a single student and would be much more useful for more than one. 

Tags (2)
5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Thanks for sharing these ideas, @ProfBuck . As the idea contains two separate requests for enhancements to the Inbox, we aren't able to move it forward in its current form. Please read through How do I create a new idea conversation in the Canvas Community? for guidance on writing singularly focused ideas. You can then click on the three-dot menu at the upper right and select Edit Idea to remove the second idea from the description, and then submit that as its own standalone idea. We'll keep this idea in Moderating status in the meantime.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Thanks for making the requested edit, @ProfBuck ! We've moved this idea forward for broader discussion.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, @ProfBuck ...

I am assuming this is your current workflow for composing a new message via the Canvas Inbox:

1. In the Canvas Inbox, click on the Compose a new message icon.
  2. In the Course drop-down list, select the course name containing the students you want to message, and select the course.
  3. To the right of the To box, click on the icon to open up the menu that allows you to select student a student you want to include in your message.
  4. Rinse and repeat Step 3 for each additional student you want to add to your To field.

Instead of having to do this, when your list of students is visible on the screen, you can hold down your Ctrl key on your keyboard and then click each name that you want to include in your message.  This keeps the list open on your screen so you don't have to click on that icon to the right of the To field each time you want to select another student to include in your message.

ComposeMessage.jpg

This process is also covered in the Guide, How do I send a message to a user in a course in the Inbox as an instructor?.  (Scroll about 3/4 the way down the Guide, and look for the section on "Add Multiple Users".)

Hope this helps!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@ProfBuck   Thanks to @Chris_Hofer for providing an existing solution! 

Since selecting multiple recipients for a message is possible using the instructions Chris has enumerated, we've archived the idea.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived