Include HTML content in Announcements Notification Emails

0 Likes
(4)

We use Global Announcements to distribute daily announcements as well as our parent newsletter. We have begun including HTML content, such as YouTube embeds and images within our announcements. These work great within Canvas, however as soon as the notification email is sent out, it strips all of these elements and leaves just the text .This often causes confusion and removes crucial parts of the announcements.

I think it would be great if the emails did not strip the HTML from the original announcement when sending out.

4 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

SheilaBaker
Community Novice

This would be a great addition to Canvas - our typical announcements contain images and various formatting that helps organize information for students. It is too bad that the first thing students see is the stripped down ugly version in their email.

lbarbee4
Community Explorer

@Renee_CarneyIs there a place to upvote this? It came up back in 2016 ("Formatting of Announcement Notifications") and it still hasn't happened, but there are a lot of comments requesting it. I'd love for students to be able to see the images in their email. It makes things more personal when I can add photos, cartoons, graphics to help with their homework, etc, but students won't always know to look at the same announcement in the course. Thank you!!!

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.