Include grade in observer's Assignment Graded email notification

0 Likes

As a Canvas observer and busy parent with already too many things to stay on top of I want the value of the grade included in the 'Assignment Graded' email notification so that I immediately see my student's grade in email.  

The current implementation includes only the fact that an assignment was graded and a link to get to the assignment.  Following this link requires signing in to Canvas, which is often too high a barrier when trying to quickly catching up on a mountain of emails.   The desired change is to simply include the grade in the email.

12 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @hinklemark -

In your Notification Settings, you should be able to turn on the option of including your student(s) name(s) and the grade information.

How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as an observer? 

klundstrum_0-1604935279064.png

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@hinklemark 

Observers can customize their own notification preferences so as to include the grade in their external notification:

image.png

General instructions for customizing notifications are in https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Observer-Guide/How-do-I-set-my-Canvas-notification-preferences-as...

As this is existing functionality for Canvas observers, we've archived the idea.

Thanks!

hinklemark
Community Member

@Stef_retired , @KristinL,

Thanks for responding. I have no such option.  See attached. 

9BDD816E-01C4-40C6-9CA7-1E969683D415.png
Thanks,

Mark

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@hinklemark 

The screenshot appears to be taken from the Canvas Teacher app, as it displays numerous options that are not available to users in the observer role. What do you see when you log in to your observer account through the Canvas Parent app?

hinklemark
Community Member

The screenshot is from the mobile web interface through Safari on an iPhone. I am a parent and don’t have teacher access or the teacher app. 

I do have the Canvas Parent app installed. There are no notification configuration options available through that app at all. The web interface is the only way I can find to change my observer settings. It would be ideal if I could change settings through the app but that’s a whole different topic. 

Thanks for your help. 

hinklemark
Community Member

@Stef_retired , @KristinL 

See below for the options I'm shown in Chrome on a Windows desktop.  They do not match the options you show in our screenshot.  If my options are for teachers, could my account have been created accidentally as a teacher account?  Is this a bug?  How can I tell what type of account I have?  

I am a parent of two students and both are listed in the Observing section of my account as Students Being Observed.  

hinklemark_0-1605469849481.png

Thank you,

Mark

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi -

It looks like your windows screenshot matches the original one that I shared. I wonder if your institution has not enabled the option to include score information in email notifications.

klundstrum_0-1605471819892.png

If this is the case, that would be why you don't see the toggle option below Grading like I did. Could you ask your local Canvas Support? How do I get help with Canvas as an observer?  They may be able to share why they chose this setting for your institution/district.

hinklemark
Community Member

Thanks, @KristinL .  Even my help options are limited compared to those listed on the 'How do I get help with Canvas as an observer?' page.   I'm hitting roadblock after roadblock and this is very frustrating.  I'll try to find another way to contact my school system's IT support about that configuration option.

hinklemark_0-1605473042778.png

Thanks for your help.

Mark

hinklemark
Community Member

@KristinL , @Stef_retired  Thank you!! I was able to reach the school, who escalated the request to the district to enable the option you suggested. They made the change and I’m now receiving emails of my children’s work including the grade. This is exactly what I was seeking. Thank you!

Mark

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

YAY! I'm happy to hear you had success @hinklemark! Thanks for sharing. 😊

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@hinklemark  Mark, we're delighted to hear it! Thanks so much for letting us know.