Increase default font size

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

We've noticed the font size seems too small - especially after the introduction of Lato font. We have been manually applying styles to text to make it more attractive and easy to read - this would be so easily controlled by default CSS and a lot less labour-intensive. 

A similar request was archived: Default Font Size but I think this is more of a bug fix rather than a feature request.

Comments from Instructure

Please read https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-11764-canvas-production-release-notes-2017-07-15 

14 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @carmen_vallis 

Similar requests have surfaced before, and I personally prefer, and manually set, a 14 point font for all my text in Canvas.

There is a closely related idea open for voting and on the Product Team's radar at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5694-default-font-adjustment-for-wysiwyg-text-entryI personally would find it very useful to set my default once, rather than having to manually adjust the font-size for all my text.

If this one works for you, please add your comments and vote. If not, simply come back and let us know.

The feature idea process is currently on hold while it undergoes major revisions. You can learn more at Changes are closer for Canvas Community Feature Ideas.  Once the new process is in place, your idea will be evaluated by the Community Team.

You can join this Group for more information: Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space.  There is also a recently CanvasLIVE presentation that was given which explains some of the changes that are happening here in the Community: State of the Canvas Community 2017

I hope this helps,

KLM

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@carmen_vallis ‌

Do you ever adjust your browser zoom to increase font size?  That is usually a customization that works for most.

carmen_vallis
Community Novice

Thanks Renee - yep, I do. Would like the default size to be 14pt for students who may not know how to zoom, and without adding an instruction, also so the body text looks more in proportion with heading styles. Thanks #KLM for your suggestion

kim_ferbrache
Community Novice

I teach SpEd students.  Creating an assignment takes a LONG time for me.  I need a minimum 18 font (and really 24 works better) for my students to independently use the program.  We all know how we have to go in and choose the editor for each question and then each and every answer in order to change the default font and size.  It's labor-intensive.  Really, it needs to work like a word document - pick the font style and size and be done with it.  It would be WONDERFUL if I could just set the default font style and size with the click of a button across my courses.  An option for us to do so and choose which courses to apply it to would be great too.  This would allow those of us with students who need the font even larger for one student to easily accommodate her in her own course and leave everyone else the same.  This option should be available to the individual instructor so s/he can easily modify assignments based on the needs of the students in his/her room.

katie_magriplis
Community Novice

I agree that the ability to set a default font (as opposed to one being chosen as the default for everyone) would be great! It can be fairly labour intensive to change these manually, especially if you're designing a course with multiple modules 🙂

irishb
Community Contributor

Agreed and great ideas!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

Please read Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-07-05)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-07-15) 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@carmen_vallis  Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @kmeeusen  Thank You , kim.ferbrache Thank You , irishb Thank You , &  @katie_magriplis  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! 

carmen_vallis
Community Novice

Great news Smiley Happy