Indent Modules in iOS APP

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. October 5, 2016 - Wed. January 4, 2017  Learn more about voting...

Jennifer Leigh GrayIn the desktop version, modules have indentations to show topics and sub-topics within modules. I would love this organizational feature on the iOS app. Jennifer Leigh Gray posted this earlier, but it did not gain traction.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-8692-canvas-by-instructure-release-notes-ios-315 .

21 Comments
lmd5adm
Community Contributor

The first image is what our module look like.  The first few are links to our external LTI launch to our CMS.

IMG_2657.PNG

This next image is what it looks like when we go into one of our LTI launched module item.  You can see the double navigations with the < > and then the "Next" and "Previous" links.

IMG_2658.PNG

This next image is what happens when I select the "Next" link.  We are taken properly to the next module item.

IMG_2659.PNG

This last image is what we get if we select the <.    We get an error.  I don't even know what it is attempting to hit but maybe the prior LTI module item?

IMG_2660.PNG

We've reported this via many routes.  We do not have the double navigation in the Android App.  It only has the previous and next links.  Our students have not been adopting the usage of the iOS app because of this and we have a large number of students in our online courses at PSU.

bkraus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Alright, lemme see if I can explain what is going on here.

First off, I'll start by saying this is terrible UX. I'll see what this looks like under our new module implementation, and see if the issue is still there, and see if we can revise it somehow.

So the "Previous" and "Next" buttons do something different than the "<" and ">" buttons. Confusing, right?! The "Previous" and "Next" buttons take you from one module item to the other, in the order that they are in the module. They are the module progression buttons. The "<" and ">" buttons come from the fact that that view is essentially an embedded in-app browser. The items you selected are of the "External URL" type, so it opens into an in-app browser. So those buttons would navigate you back/forward as a web browser would do. Hitting back on the "<" button would be navigating you back in the web view history, as a browser would do. The "Cannot locate launch request..." error stems from it trying to reload an LTI launch that has already been loaded.

Under the new module stuff I've been working on, I toyed with the idea of kicking the user to Apple's new in-app browser for any module items that were of the "External URL" type, but a number of users still want to be able to have the module progression buttons so that wasn't much of an option. I'll go show this to our UI/UX designer, and see what we can do there, and I'll see if I can get it rolled up into this module update! This is great timing!

bkraus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Question for ya Lisa! Do your students use the browser navigation at all? Or do pages you link to do you intend on it being a single page? Or, what are your thoughts on presenting the page/LTI modally, over everything else in the app, and requiring the user to tap in, and dismiss the view and thereby not showing both types of navigation at the same time? It would be an extra tap for the user, (well two, one to tap a preview of the page to actually launch it, and one to dismiss that).

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

For anyone interested in this topic, be sure to RSVP to the CanvasLIVE​ presentation Canvas Mobile Design, which is coming up this Tuesday, November 15, 2016. RSVP "yes" if you will be there--and if you’re interested, but your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend in real time, RSVP "no" or "maybe" to receive all event updates. Your RSVP ensures that you will receive a notification should the event be cancelled or changed.

lmd5adm
Community Contributor

This is a single page for our case.  I did not see the presentation information on the mobile design.  Sad.  Was it recorded?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Yes,  @lmd5 , and here's the link to the recording:

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)
​ (The link to the recording is also on the event page. Smiley Happy)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas by Instructure Release Notes (iOS 3.16) .

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@hardinm  Thank You for submitting this idea, as well as,  @jlg65  Thank You ,  @KristinL  Thank You  &  @lmd5adm  Thank You for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Immediately after Canvas by Instructure Release Notes (iOS 3.16)‌, my students commented about how much the liked and appreciated the update. The indents make navigating modules easier! Smiley Happy

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New