Individual Alerts (Notification) for your Discussion topic response and your replies

0 Likes
(1)

It would be greatly appreciated and helpful if you could add the functionality for notifications only for the reply to the individual student.

For example,

I posted my initial response to the discussion question. John doe replies to me. I want that alert on my phone or an email instantly (or with a few minutes).

If I reply to John's reply, and he replies back to my reply, again, I want alerts of John's reply to my reply.

If I comment on other students' initial discussion answers and they reply back to me, I want that alert too.

I can see it functioning like Microsoft Teams. In Teams, you type @john, and it would change to John Doe. Once you are done typing, it will instantly send an alert to your phone, and after 5-10 minutes, it will send you an email showing you what you missed.

From what I gather, ECPI wants discussions to be the center point of learning. I believe you are hindering that by not having this feature. I don't have the time to check the board for replies consistently. None of the people I talked to wants every single reply to notify them.

If you turn on the option, so every reply to the discussion comes to you, it drives you to turn it off.

Once you get tired of checking the board every 20-30minutes, I give up and wait till the end of the week to recheck it. This put me at doing the bare minimum to get by. I miss some exciting opportunities to engage and learn with my classmates by waiting to check the board. Students like me who have a full-time job and family do not have enough time in the day to constantly check the board.

Thank you for your time.

3 Comments
nathanatkinson
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks for submitting this idea, @DerekMcGee.

This functionality is currently being addressed with our Discussions Redesign project, which adds "@ mentions" and more granular notifications for getting these mention notifications. Currently it has to be enabled by your institution and your instructor as the feature is still in beta and being developed. You can learn more about the upcoming functionality and give your feedback in the beta user group: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Discussions-Announcements/gh-p/discussions 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@DerekMcGee  Nathan has pointed you in the right direction! As you're checking out the redesign project, you might also want to add your support to  Discussion Notification: Activity that involves yo....

JBMaurice
Community Explorer

I completely agree with that!

We should have an option to get notifications that relate to a response to our post, not all responses to the class to a topic, otherwise, we get too many.