Instructor ability to disable course notifications

(1)

With course notifications, I’d like to have instructors or admins be able to disable notifications for a course. We have some mandatory training classes that feature SCORM files that link to an external vendor site. When the students access the SCORM file, they immediately receive a Canvas notification the grade for their assignment has changed. This creates some confusion. Although posting an announcement in the course to disregard the grade change emails has helped somewhat, it would be great if we could prevent the emails from ever being sent.

Note: most of the users in the mandatory training courses are not regular Canvas users. They log in to complete the courses once a year so they don’t spend a lot of time exploring the features of Canvas and are unlikely to customize their notifications.

5 Comments
awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @karla_clausen1 . I know this is not exactly the same idea, but the ability to disable notifications for a course by each user (so in this case the students) is on its way to Canvas! So you will at least be able to advise the students they can do more than just disregard the notifications. https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1179-users-need-to-be-able-to-customize-notifications-at-the-c....

karla_clausen1
Community Member

Hi,

I saw that on the release and was thrilled by that. However, most of the users in the mandatory training courses are not regular Canvas users. They log in to complete the courses once a year so they don’t spend a lot of time exploring the features of Canvas. They receive a grade change notification immediately upon accessing the SCORM files, are confused by it, and immediately create a ticket with our service center. We really need a way to prevent those emails from reaching the users and being able to shut off notifications from the course would be the way to do it.

Karla Clausen

Senior Instructional Technologist

UW-Shared Services - Information Technology

780 Regent Street

Madison, WI 53715

608-263-4811

Fax 608-262-2343

uwss.wisconsin.edu<http://uwss.wisconsin.edu>

deborah_oakley
Community Novice

You need to make it so that notification are based on the course. During distance learning I have been buried in posts from classes I was taking online, and can't weed through them to find the ones from my students.  I have thousands of posts in my junk folder.

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @deborah_oakley . We hear you! You can now mute notifications by course. Check out the Canvas Release Notes (2020-04-18) for more info and let us know if you have any questions.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.