Instructor to do list

0 Likes
(8)

Allow me to choose which classes I see on my to do list.  For example I’m an instructor on several coworker’ classes and their assignments take over my to do list for grading. 

17 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

RobDitto
Community Champion

Rated 5 stars, @Abushmaker - great idea. I can imagine this working similar to the selector for filtering courses in the Calendar.

timothy_maw
Community Champion

This would be extremely beneficial for us! Our instructors can have several courses they are active in because of our competency-based nature. The to-do list can become hard to navigate because of it and this would make it a lot easier.

tstacey
Community Member

This would be very helpful. The To Do list can become useless when it gets filled up with other teachers' To Do items.

amberbutler05
Community Member

I am a SPED teacher, which means in addition to my handful of courses, I am also a TA in many more. I don't actually do any grading in these courses, I just have to have access to them so I can modify work for special education students. The problem is that my to-do list and inbox are so overwhelmed they are virtually unusable. I do not need to be CC'd on every single message that every single teacher in the entire school receives from every single student, and yet I am not able to turn this off. I can turn off notifications, but I can't opt out of emails. I also don't need 5,000 items on my to-do list, all telling me to grade assignments in classes that I don't grade assignments in. These features (inbox and to-do) seem useful, but they are, at this point, merely background clutter because they are completely overwhelmed with irrelevant data.

canvaslurker
Community Novice

I agree with this! I am my schools technology lead and as such I am in many teachers classes as well as my own and my own to-do list gets swamped with their items. Please make the to-do list editable so I can only see my course's to-dos without having to close out of their courses assignments everytime!

Thank you!

buntmank
Community Member

Should be an easy fix! It is so misleading when you click on the assignment thinking you have something to grade but it ends up being a different section. 

DrewReinhardt
Community Novice

+3000 to this suggestion...this should be done IMMEDIATELY.

I would imagine in a school setting that there are very few people who are only listed in their own courses.  Which means that most people are seeing TO DO items from multiple courses/teachers.

I hope that this is resolved very quickly.

davisjoh
Community Explorer

When I am asked to review another instructors course and my status is teaching assistant I get all the to dos from that course in my phone app. I got 151. I cannot scroll past 10 to dos. Suppose I had a GA and we both graded different assignments. We have to wait on the other person to do the to dos before we can get past the scroll limitation. Poor design. If I am not a teaching assistant I cannot see discussion detail.

You should allow a setting to prevent to dos from pushing to the phone app when teaching assistant status is chosen.

Many thanks!

John Davs

East Carolina University

CurtisD
Community Novice

On the landing page, where the 'Coming Up/Calendar' section is, it shows assignments for courses I am taking, as well as assignments for courses I am a TA for. It would be better if at first glance there was some way to differentiate between the two besides just from the course number. Otherwise, it is somewhat confusing when limited on time.

colleen
Community Participant

Yes, this is a big problem for our organisation.

We have a total of 32 assignments being completed by 230 students in the course, with different assessors marking different assignments or sections. I only need to assess 230 of the 7360 assignments so only want to get notifications for the assignment I am required to assess.

Please can we have granular notification settings within the course.

I have also submitted this idea at this link which is similar https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Filter-To-Do-List-Grading/idc-p/449180/emcs_t/...

Please comment so that we can get more traction with this.

Caitlincarmendy
Community Member

We have a lot of teachers that share courses for a variety of reasons - It would be helpful to turn off things in the "to do list" specifically that are from specific courses. So for example if they only wanted to see the to do list for their 2 specific courses and not their colleagues courses that they are listed as a teacher in, then it would be nice to be able to control those notifications or to do list items for individual courses. 

blakemacnelly
Community Explorer

I agree with this, but for the Coming Up feature - I run a canvas community that is not a course. We post events to the community calendar. Some students in the community have complained that the events congest their Coming Up/To Do feature and they are tired of having to clear it each time they log in. 

It would be helpful for them to have the option to disconnect the community calendar from the to do or coming up feature. 

jkilbride
Community Explorer

I would love to be able to turn off the "to-do" grading notifications that appear in the dashboard on a course by course basis.  Our school gives the lab instructors access to the lecture shell and the lecture instructor access to the lab shell of the same section so we can keep track of the available information in each course.   Being able to turn off notifications on a course by course basis was amazing for this, so I'm not getting notifications about the shell I'm not teaching.  I'd love to be able to do the same thing for the to-do grading list, so my to-do list isn't showing assignments where I am not the primary instructor.  

lbethany
Community Explorer

Was this ever fixed? If not, it is a huge request.

colleen
Community Participant

I don't think they have done anything about this that I know of.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.