Integrate Polls for Canvas Mobile App with Desktop Version of Canvas

(1)
I would like to see the Canvas Mobile App integrated with Canvas on the web by adding the ability to create, launch, take, and view polls from within the browser version.

See also:

Add functionality to publish poll results in browser-version of Canvas container

Integrate Canvas Polls with Gradebook

Allow polls to move with course content, rather than instructor

28 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi 873179959

You have 5 great ideas here.  To help with voting and clarity of process we are asking people to break up these 'kitchen sink' style ideas.  All of these are related to integration, however they all touch different parts of Canvas.  Can you please resubmit these as five separate ideas?

If you have any questions let me know.  Thank you.

canvas_admin
Community Champion

Can you also share the 5 separate idea links here for easy reference?

Community Contributor

Thanks for your suggestions.  I have edited the idea to reflect just one idea, and have linked to three other ideas.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

I just now updated your idea submission to the queue that will open for vote on May 5th.

Cheers,

Scott

snugent
Community Champion

Here is another idea to go along with this idea,

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

That is a very similar request, isn't it snugent​?  I considered whether they should be merged but decided that this one is asking for full feature parity where the other is more limited, asking only for a way to embed polls in Canvas.

patchin
Community Member

I created a prototype that does all that in the web browser. Does require a little bit of javascript programming.

rseilham
Community Champion

Yes! Canvas Polls for mobile won't see any development until a web version is done. There is a lot of potential and I fear that if this isn't done, the mobile app could eventually be removed.

BKINNEY
Community Contributor

I'd vote for that. Remove the mobile app if the polls are inaccessible from a conventional browser. As a person who responds to Help requests from Canvas one day a week, I'm completely opposed to mobile-only course content. Luckily for me, I don't think many (any?) of our faculty have used Polls, and if I heard of one that did, I would ask them politely never to do it again. If they did it again, I'd forward them every complaint I got about it, and close the ticket.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

LOL, Becky...

rseilham
Community Champion

This seems like something you'd vote for since it will it would make polls accessible to people not using mobile devices. I'd love to see your mobile only complaints.

Cindy_Masek
Community Contributor

I don't want to purchase another product when Canvas is so close to having a polling tool that would work.  If the polling tool worked in browsers and on mobile devices it would work wonderfully for us.  I'm putting off purchasing a replacement to our outdated clickers in hopes that this will progress.  I don't see how this tool is functional without the browser option for anyone.  I would think a classroom full of laptops might be more common than a classroom of only mobile devices.  But the reality in this BYOD world is, it is always a mix.

cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey Folks, We've begun to scope the work, I've put together a proposal for this project and I'm hoping to get the resources to make this more awesome~ both in the app and on the web. I have to archive this for now because it's not in our current 6 month plan, but your requests are definitely helping me build my case! So thank you! Hopefully, we can get this prioritized on the roadmap soon. Thanks again! And stay tuned! I'll let you know what decision is made about the future of this product.

cclo
Community Participant

I'm excited that you've begun to scope the work. I'd like to add that the instructors I work with would like the ability to use mathematical symbols in the questions.

jxr123
Community Novice

Has anything else been done with this?

cgaudreau
Community Contributor

Deactivated user​, are there any updates on Polls integration with mobile or web? Would love to hear, one way or the other.

cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@peytoncraighill ​ is our Mobile Product Manager these days! I will leave it to him to follow up with any updates on this.

cgaudreau
Community Contributor

Thank you!

dperpich
Community Participant

@peytoncraighill ​, any update? We've got a large unit looking to dump resources into Poll Everywhere for the lack of this feature in Canvas.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...