Integrate tools that allow interactive pages

0 Likes
(4)

It is wonderful that Canvas allows the integration of other resources such as SoftChalk and H5P, but wouldn't it be cool if Canvas had similar tools built-in?

I want to add in some knowledge checks to study pages, but so far the only way to do this is if I also purchase another resource tool. My university (like many, I am sure) does not have an unlimited budget. It would be awesome if the Canvas developers could create similar tools (just a few) that we could add into pages. Being able to put in some interactivity would keep students engaged in what they are doing and being able to gamify their learning a little will help to reduce cognitive load, making knowledge retention higher.

6 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

amyslack
Community Participant

I completely agree. Things like even an embeddable form that is all inside of a Canvas Page/Assignment would be so helpful. Or activities like drag and drops, labeling, flashcard, multiple hotspots, etc would all be very helpful if it was something that was directly built within Canvas without the reliance on a third party. Having it native within Canvas would be so beneficial. It's not always cost, in my case my current institution is super strict about data security (healthcare and student data) so they really don't like to approve third parties for the security concerns so seeing it native within Canvas has other benefits other than saving money. 

baldwinsh
Community Participant

You make a wonderful point, @amyslack ! I also think it would be beneficial if these things were native to Canvas because we wouldn't have to risk them breaking. The code would be something that the Canvas programmers would easily be able to go into and make adjustments as necessary.

I have an instructor that wants to do drag and drop assignments, but even with New Quizzes, we can't do the assignment quite the way that she envisions. We have tried using interactive Google Slides, but it is cumbersome. 

Integrating these activities -- particularly the ones that you have described, Amy, would be helpful for student success.

amyslack
Community Participant

I completely agree. One major thing I like about Canvas adn makes it different from other LMSs - is that it is more then just a webpage for storing assignments and links it is an interactive learning "experience" that student engage with as they step through a module. Adding native interactive elements would heighten this sense of experiential learning and increase student engagement for sure. 

baldwinsh
Community Participant

@amyslack Well said!

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.