Integrating Gizmos into Canvas

(1)

Is it possible to integrate or embed activities from Gizmos (ExploreLearning Gizmos: Math & Science Simulations Powering Inquiry and Understanding ) into our Canvas courses?  Most of their interactive math and science activities are HTML5 and would be extremely beneficial to our virtual students.  

3 Comments
awolfe
Community Contributor

Hello  @hmrozarb ‌,

To clarify your original idea, do you just want the gadget to appear inside an assignment or do you want some sort of submission to automatically happen or be graded from the Gizmos? (Forgive me, I'm not super familiar with all of their features.)

The first one you can already do, although it's not automatic. You can easily embed another webpage in an assignment with some very basic HTML knowledge.

As an example, if I wanted to embed Sight vs. Sound Reactions Gizmo : ExploreLearning, I would write the below code in the HTML Editor of the Rich Content Editor for an Assignment or Page. (See here for more: How do I use the HTML view in the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?)

<iframe height="600" src="https://www.explorelearning.com/index.cfm?method=cResource.dspView&ResourceID=43" width="800"></iframe> 

(You may wish to play with the height and width).

Hope that helps a little bit.

lph
Community Champion

Hi

I stopped by Gizmos booth today at CSTA 2018 and asked this question. We did a Google search to find this idea. 

It is very possible to embed the Gizmos.  I love to build iframes using the site https://www.iframe-generator.com/  - and then I don't have to fuss with the HTML and simply paste this into the HTML editor for Canvas.

The challenge is that students would need to have an account on Gizmos, and log into Gizmos. Here is a screenshot. You'll see the timer in the upper corner because an account isn't available.

Summary

-- No student account SSO

-- Questions at bottom of Gizmos will not show until a login

-- No connection between Gizmos questions being answered and Canvas grade book

It would be wonderful to see Gizmos integrated so students can stay within the Canvas environment. 

Gizmos

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.