Interactive Quiz Tools for Students

0 Likes
(9)

As a student who likes to traditionally interact with pen/paper assessments, I would love the option for Canvas to add certain features to allow students to interact with their quiz. Such tools could include:

• Highlight Function: Enables students to highlight parts of the question
  • Cross-Out Function: Enables students to cross-out answer choices they believe are incorrect
  • Annotate Function: Allows students to write quick notes as it relates to the question

I am surprised this has not already been implemented given that the other online exam platforms I have used have included this function. This would certainly help to promote accessibility on Quizzes for students like myself who like the feel of pen/paper more.

8 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

LynnCagle
Community Explorer

I love this idea. it would also encourage instructors to clarify issues.

Where do rate this idea, or give kudos?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @LynnCagle - Commenting is an amazing help, but if you'd like to rate the idea, please use the stars right under the title at the top of the thread.

LynnCagle
Community Explorer

@KristinL Thanks!

aeisaman
Community Novice

I am a student and all of my exams/quizzes are now online through Canvas. When I used to take exams on paper, you could mark up the exam, write on it, circle and underline things, and so on. When taking an exam online through Canvas, you can only read the question. I think it would be valuable to have a feature on Canvas so that when you are taking an exam or quiz, you can make annotations to the questions and answer responses. So, if I needed emphasis on a word in the question, I could somehow circle that word in the question, and it would remain on the exam for me, but not affect other students taking the same exam. Or, if you do not need part of a question, you can cross it out with a line. I believe these features would be valuable to many students, as many students were taught to annotate questions as they read them. 

beckster1999
Community Member

I love this idea! Also, in terms of interactive quizzes, my professor uses Macmillon Learning Tools/ Achieve and it gives you feedback on questions that are incorrect without giving you the answer, resources (like a link to a periodic table for chem.) etc and its awesome and more instructors should use it.

CaitlinLamb
Community Member

It would be nice, if like other testing systems, you had the ability to have select tools available in New Quizzes for students to manipulate. For example, for math classes they might need a ruler, protractor and for English a highlighter, answer cross-out, etc. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.