Introduce Individual Question Marking Option for Assignments in Speedgrader

I recently posted an online summer exam that consisted of 3 essay questions, using the Assignment single document upload option. This was intended to allow students to download one Word doc exam paper and complete their assignment on one Word or pdf document for marking.

When the assignments were uploaded, I realised that the single total mark system in place would hinder the ability of multiple teaching staff who mark individual questions, to upload marks for their question e.g. Q1, 2 or 3. 

Therefore, it would be very welcome if Canvas could introduce a new option to add in multiple question marking boxes for assignments, which could be specified after the assignment has been uploaded, which would allow multiple correctors to upload marks for specific questions.

6 Comments
Steven_S
Community Champion

One way to do this right away is by attaching a rubric.  The rubric can be built to have one criteria for every question and graders can select a score (or enter a custom score) using the points available for that question.  The total is calculated automatically and entered as the grade.

Steven_S
Community Champion

Another way to do this now is with a canvas quiz built out of essay questions instead of file upload responses.  The essay questions will each require individual scores, and the student responses will be typed directly into canvas so they will be automatically displayed with the question in speedgrader.

barry_boland
Community Novice

Sounds good, although the exam I ran required students to embed hand drawn graphs into a Word or pdf document, and I don't think this is possible if it is set as a text entry only quiz? 

Steven_S
Community Champion

The RCE allows images to be embedded in text fields.   In old quizzes, the option to embed an image is available for essay question responses.  a screen capture of what students see as response options for essay questions

However, I'm not certain whether students are given full access to the RCE in their responses to essay questions in new quizzes, because I cannot use new quizzes yet in my courses.

Steven_S
Community Champion

Another way to approach graphs in quizzes is suggested here: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/16767-new-quizzes-creating-graphs 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.