Item Feedback in Quizzes.Next

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It was suggested by one of our teachers to have the ability to add feedback to distractor items individually, not just the correct answer, in Quizzes.Next. The idea was to give specific feedback on each distractor, not the same for all distractors. This would make it the same as the current quiz platform.

This could help students gain a better understanding of the content by learning why a distractor is incorrect. This would be especially useful when students are working in a more self-paced or flipped environment.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2019-09-21).

15 Comments
RobDitto
Community Champion

@jhough , just making sure you're seen this Quizzes.Next lesson - look under the View Feedback heading:

As a guess, were your teachers seeking to provide differing feedback for specific distractors (incorrect answers)?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@jhough ‌,  @RobDitto ‌ has pointed you in the right direction; Quizzes.Next affords the ability to provide feedback for distractor items—but as he notes, the feedback will be the same for any incorrect response. In the current quiz tool, it is possible to provide different feedback for each incorrect response (How do I create a Multiple Choice quiz question?). 

If you're requesting the ability to provide different feedback for each distractor in Quizzes.Next, would you please edit your idea accordingly? We've put your idea into Moderating status as we await your response. Thanks!

jhough
Community Participant

Thank you for all of the info! I updated my idea to indicate giving

specific feedback to each distractor individually.

Thanks!

Jenny Hough

Digital Learning TOSA

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you,  @jhough ‌! Since the ability to provide specific feedback for each distractor individually already exists in the current quiz tool, I hope you don't mind that I've modified your idea slightly to indicate that the request is specific to Quizzes.Next.

jhough
Community Participant

That’s perfect, thank you! Sometime, I know what I want, I just can’t get

it out quite right! Thanks for doing that!

Jenny Hough

Digital Learning TOSA

victoria-maloy
Community Champion

Having the ability to give specific feedback for distractor items allows instructors to point out exactly why a distractor was chosen for the quiz question.  I very much hope that this feature idea makes it into Quizzes.Next. I was disappointed to see that a feature that is available in the current quiz options is being removed.

s_eberhard
Community Novice

I'd echo this!

I thought maybe I'm doing something wrong when I couldn't find it!

Good to know I'm not the only one think this should be in Quizzes.next and surprised that it isn't!

We need to be able to provide better feedback to students based on the answers that they have selected and direct them to an action that would help them gain better understanding or help them learn more on a specific concept/topic.

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks for adding this Jennifer - was hugely disappointed to find that it had not been included in the new iteration of Quizzes.

Like many teachers, I try not to create obviously wrong answers as distractors. I use quizzes a lot in my courses to test student misconception and like to have a range of answers that challenges students prior knowledge. Very often the wrong answers are ones that are close to being correct and may be ideas that students already possess. I have also written MC question with questions that ask for the best answer so in fact, the other three answers are factually accurate but may not be correct in this instance.

I thought this would now be solved with the opportunity to give partial credit via the Vary Points by Answer feature - HURRAH!

Sadly by then removing a feature that was in place in the previous quiz (as  @victoria-maloy  says), Canvas have currently (IMHO) missed a huge opportunity in developing the quizzes tool beyond mere summative (feedback) process.

By providing personalised feedback for answers students give that are partially correct, students can see what they have done right and wrong!

As a work around - I will now have to put feedback for each answer in the one wrong answer box which is not ideal  and presumably not a great user experience for the students?

Please tell me that this is going to be brought back in future iterations!

PS. As an additional reason for bring this feature back, I was thinking that you might be able use the new Quiz feature as a sort of Survey feature on Staff Confidence/Competence/Skills. If you had individual feedback for each response then you could direct staff to a particular Help Guide in your course or Module to find out more? You could possible combine partial credit answers and link them to Outcomes to inform staff where they are in terms of their expertise?

natalie_norton1
Community Champion

Agreed - we use this feature at lot at present to give customised feedback depending on answer,  so really hope it will still be available! Also concerned about migrating current quizzes which already have detailed feedback per answer. 

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

A little worried about this! Currently making use of both features which is not great. Hope all is well with you and things progressing....