[Rubrics] Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

I would like to see some additional options for Rubrics.  Specifically, it would be nice to be able to:

• Insert a new rubric row anywhere within an existing rubric.
  • Drag and drop an existing rubric row to another location in the same rubric.

Use case: I was building a rubric with 40+ rows for an instructor.  After about the 40th row of the rubric, I realized I had forgotten to add a criterion around row 20.  So, I had to delete rows 21 and beyond...insert the row I missed, and then re-add the rows I had initially added.  I soon learned you have to be really careful when building rubrics with lots of rows.

Added to Theme

Improved rubric creation and usability Theme Status: In Development

298 Comments
mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,

Would may sharing the other rubric tools you are referring to?

Thanks!

mpoole
Community Explorer

Sure.. Rubistar, irubric, easytagger all work better.  Just not integrated into canvas.

Even the rubric generator in turnitin is a little easier to use and will send grades back to the canvas gradebook.

brueckert
Community Champion
This is a resurrected feature: LTI External Tools and Rubrics

The original text provided by the one and only Chris Hofer is as follows:

"When creating an Assignment in a course that uses the Submission Type of External Tool (Example: Turnitin LTI app), there isn't a way to add a Canvas rubric after the Assignment settings are saved.  The work-around for this is to create an Assignment the normal way (and not selecting External Tool as the Submission Type), and then you can add your rubric.  Next, go back into the editing screen of the Assignment, and change the Submission Type to External Tool.  You can then access your rubric via the SpeedGrader for grading students.  It would be nice to be able to also have an "Add Rubric" button on the screen for those assignments submitted through an External Tool."

I don't think I could say it better. We really need this to smooth out the not-so-smooth workflow of adding a rubric to a Turnitin assignment. With how heavily many institutions use Turnitin, this is not so much a feature request as it is a "must."

stevenwilliams
Community Participant

With Turnitin migrating all customers to their LTI tool, this feature would help customers maintain the same functionality offered by the existing Turnitin Legacy integration.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Schools that are using outcomes in rubrics to capture measurements of course, sub-account, and account-level outcomes mastery don't want their instructors to use the TII rubrics to grade assignments and pass back grades; they want their instructors to use Canvas rubrics to assess mastery of those aligned outcomes. As we get closer and closer to the retirement of the Turnitin (Legacy) API, implementation of this feature idea will become ever more pressing.

jared_flaherty
Community Contributor

Absolutely.  

What if they add the ability to attach a Rubric to any assignment in the course.    Meaning that after you create a Rubric in the Manage Rubrics section of the Outcomes tab, you can then link it to a assignment.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. January 6, 2016 - Wed. April 6, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

asagun
Community Novice

Just to note also, at this point students cannot view the rubrics at all when using the Turnitin external tool. What use is a rubric on the assignment if the student can't see it?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

asagun​, I will admit right up front that the interim solution I'm proposing is clunky, but it's one that I employed in previous LMSs: I create the rubric, take a screenshot of it, and embed it at the bottom of the assignment instructions.

tknapp
Community Contributor

I did figure out a way for students to view it, but in my opinion it is even clunkier than the one stefaniesanders​ suggested. If students access the assignment through Grades, there is an option to view the rubric in the upper right corner on the Submission Details page (see below). This is definitely not ideal, but the only workaround I've found other than taking a screenshot.

156476_pastedImage_0.png