[Rubrics] Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

I would like to see some additional options for Rubrics.  Specifically, it would be nice to be able to:

• Insert a new rubric row anywhere within an existing rubric.
  • Drag and drop an existing rubric row to another location in the same rubric.

Use case: I was building a rubric with 40+ rows for an instructor.  After about the 40th row of the rubric, I realized I had forgotten to add a criterion around row 20.  So, I had to delete rows 21 and beyond...insert the row I missed, and then re-add the rows I had initially added.  I soon learned you have to be really careful when building rubrics with lots of rows.

Added to Theme

Improved rubric creation and usability Theme Status: In Development

298 Comments
ellen_evancheck
Community Member

Students can no longer see the rubric so faculty have to copy the rubric before enabling Turnitin and paste it into their assignment instructions. This is another step they did not have to take before.

themidiman
Community Champion

One other thing to take note of: Any workaround by taking a screen shot of the rubric and inserting into the instructions is a potential violation of good accessibility practices. How does one write alternative text for a rubric screenshot that communicates the same thing as the actual display of the rubric in the user interface?

carla_patalano
Community Novice

I second your sentiment.  This is appalling, quite frankly, given what our institution was "sold" on the intergration of these tools.  We have repeatedly stressed to students follow the rubrics and have spent countless hours into building customized rubrics for each assignment -  all for nothing now.  A workaround is unacceptable, and is costing us many hours of ridiculous busy-work. Why is TurnItIn dictating what can/cannot be seen in Canvas!?

carla_patalano
Community Novice

We have to go in and revise HUNDREDS of assignments.  Absurd!!!!

lmittleman
Community Novice

Yes, please, feature designers, give us a way to reorder criteria within the rubrics and/or the ability to add a criteria in the place within the list of our choosing!

epokryfki
Community Participant

In my district we use MIL for the language courses, blended and online, so being able to use the rubric would be very important for grading writing and speaking assignments.

I really hope to see this feature implemented soon! Smiley Happy

Jeff_F
Community Champion

OK, but if this is not an intended behavior then one may assume it is not 'supported'. A future code update could very well remove this work around.

tbunag
Community Champion

Are there any additional updates on this?  We currently have both the API and LTI in our instance of Canvas, and switching is going to be incredibly painful thanks to this problem.

epokryfki
Community Participant

I am also curious if there are any updates on this feature that would be very valuable for our school district.

gmm193
Community Member

This went into consideration in 2015 and nothing has happened yet. I can see more ideas exactly like this that have come up. I was going to create one myself. It would be so great to be able to move around rows and columns so you don't have to delete half your rubric every time you realize you want to add a row later on. This does not happen as a result of poor planning but typical series of events that go like this: 1. You think you made a perfect rubric. 2. After grading a few assignments, you realize you need to split a row into two rows or add in a row you had not anticipated using.

Complicated workaround are not desired. Something simple like how items in modules can be moved up and down would be perfect.

- Glenna (Penn State U)