[Rubrics] Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

I would like to see some additional options for Rubrics.  Specifically, it would be nice to be able to:

• Insert a new rubric row anywhere within an existing rubric.
  • Drag and drop an existing rubric row to another location in the same rubric.

Use case: I was building a rubric with 40+ rows for an instructor.  After about the 40th row of the rubric, I realized I had forgotten to add a criterion around row 20.  So, I had to delete rows 21 and beyond...insert the row I missed, and then re-add the rows I had initially added.  I soon learned you have to be really careful when building rubrics with lots of rows.

Added to Theme

Improved rubric creation and usability Theme Status: In Development

298 Comments
ronmarx
Community Contributor

Just a renewed plea to everyone voting on and following this idea to review, consider and vote for a standardized rubric cell structure and description headers that have been illustrated in this idea: Create a Secondary Rubric Structure to Conform with Conventions.

Thanks!

ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I hope this is the best place to add a comment on the students' view of rubrics connected to LTI assignments. Here's what I just discovered when setting up a Google Docs cloud assignment for a spring 2019 class:

• Created my assignment and left it No Submission so I could create a rubric
  • Edited the assignment and switched it to an External Tool so I could connect my Google Docs cloud assignment
  • Checked Student View to make sure things were okay (especially to check whether 'twas good to set it to open in a new browser tab/window)

Wait, where's my rubric? I found on the Canvas Guides document Canvas Release: Google Apps LTI that students have to go to the Grades page, select the assignment, then select the assignments details page before they can view the rubric. Really? And then I discovered that whether students see the rubric depends on how they access the assignment page.

I ended up making a blog entry with a video, thinking this is something that will come up as my colleagues explore using Google Docs cloud assignments: 

The Trouble with Rubrics and Google Docs Cloud Assignments 

lturner1
Community Novice

If you are using Google Drive LTI, then the answer is yes!!  Something I unfortunately learned the hard way!  Also, students who had opened the assignment prior to me going through these steps were doing the assignment, but what was submitted was blank (presumably because when I reattached the Drive assignment it created it as if it was new, no longer recognizing work done in the previous version).

bogardde
Community Participant

Hear, hear Gregory! I had submitted a feature request about this just a year ago: Add "Submission Details" Link to Google Cloud Assignment - but it got no traction and is currently in Cold Storage. 

bdust
Community Novice

Do the designers and product managers of this product even use this feature? If they did, they would move it to the top of the list.

tgodkin
Community Novice

You can use this script while you are waiting for Canvas to make the fixes:

canvancement/rubrics/sort-rubric at master · jamesjonesmath/canvancement · GitHub 

nwisseman
Community Participant

Whatever ends up being done for this, can we make it consistent across pages types? I'd love for students to be able to view a rubric in the same way for discussions, assignments, and quizzes. One option: if an assignment/discussion/quiz has a rubric, have a "Show Rubric" button appear in a standard location. This button should be positioned so that it's not covered up by external apps (like Turnitin).

darin_johnson
Community Member

I just realized my students have to go through too many steps to view the rubric for our Google Cloud assignment. This seems like an important request for Canvas to honor.

Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

Is there any way to re-submit this feature request?  Apologies for not seeing it a year ago -- I would definitely vote for it, and know others who would, too.

jhansen11
Community Member

Frustrating!! I cannot believe this basic feature does not exist. Please fix it.