Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTI External Tools - Ability to Add Rubric

LTI External Tools - Ability to Add Rubric

(14)
This is a resurrected feature: LTI External Tools and Rubrics

The original text provided by the one and only Chris Hofer is as follows:

"When creating an Assignment in a course that uses the Submission Type of External Tool (Example: Turnitin LTI app), there isn't a way to add a Canvas rubric after the Assignment settings are saved.  The work-around for this is to create an Assignment the normal way (and not selecting External Tool as the Submission Type), and then you can add your rubric.  Next, go back into the editing screen of the Assignment, and change the Submission Type to External Tool.  You can then access your rubric via the SpeedGrader for grading students.  It would be nice to be able to also have an "Add Rubric" button on the screen for those assignments submitted through an External Tool."

I don't think I could say it better. We really need this to smooth out the not-so-smooth workflow of adding a rubric to a Turnitin assignment. With how heavily many institutions use Turnitin, this is not so much a feature request as it is a "must."

75 Comments
Surveyor II

This would be a wonderful fix for those of us who utilize external tools for homework when using some publisher materials like McGraw-Hill Connect, etc.

Surveyor II

I agree that this is a small but work/life improvement fix. It can be a real nuisance when you created a whole assignment and then realize you forgot to add a rubric. This means you have to go back into the assignment change the settings. Leave the assignment to add the rubric. Then go back into the assignment to change the settings as an external tool assignment. This could also be fixed by having the ability to add the rubric while creating the assignment instead of after you have saved it.

Surveyor

Agreed!  Please make that change sooner rather than later!

Surveyor II

Yes, PLEASE!!! I thought I'd be able to do this with Flipgrid, but nope- now I'm hoping that I can grade student submissions within flipgrid using the rubric there and that the grades will integrate. SO FRUSTRATING. It's these little things that make these integrations not effective.

Surveyor

I would like to +1 this feature request. Its very counter-intuitive to set a rubric, then change assignment type and not be able to see the rubric at all.