[Rubrics] Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

I would like to see some additional options for Rubrics.  Specifically, it would be nice to be able to:

• Insert a new rubric row anywhere within an existing rubric.
  • Drag and drop an existing rubric row to another location in the same rubric.

Use case: I was building a rubric with 40+ rows for an instructor.  After about the 40th row of the rubric, I realized I had forgotten to add a criterion around row 20.  So, I had to delete rows 21 and beyond...insert the row I missed, and then re-add the rows I had initially added.  I soon learned you have to be really careful when building rubrics with lots of rows.

Added to Theme

Improved rubric creation and usability Theme Status: In Development

298 Comments
tnorton
Community Member

It's incredibly hard to believe that this has been an issue for over 5 years, and it hasn't been resolved. I would like to add my voice to the chorus that asks for a way to edit rubrics by adding individual rows within the rubric and by rearranging criteria.

Michellek
Community Explorer

Yes, please!

khull
Community Member

Reiterating the call to action.  Instructure, please address the need to significantly improve / re-vamp your rubric functionality and UI post-haste.

Since they've been unable to act on such a basic and obvious issue for the past five years, it seems to me that Instructure needs to shift their priorities and invest in hiring more software developers.

Unfortunately, this kind of oversight has been the norm with Instructure, not the exception.  It's disheartening.

-K

jarosenblum
Community Member

Hiya folks, just adding a voice to this chorus. We've got a new Dig Equity cert in the works for K-12 teachers here at UT Austin. We really need for a rubric for external tools feature to happen. I know folks here have been waiting here for 4 years! Fingers crossed on a resolution soon. 

jwisniewski
Community Member

This is still a feature that needs to be included. Using the workaround is doable, but it prevents you from going in to remove or revise a rubric. I recently had to make changes to the assignment which meant the rubric I had originally attached was no longer valid. I can't remove the rubric, and students are confused because there are aspects of the rubric which don't make any sense anymore.

With more and more of us doing school virtually, using features like the Google Cloud Assignment are lifesavers, but we need the ability to add and change rubrics because those are an essential part of the feedback needed for virtual learning. 

jarosenblum
Community Member

Has someone tried this workaround with the Flipgrid tool? I've done the workaround and no rubric is visible. 

jarosenblum
Community Member

AH wait I see it in Speedgrader--but the rubric isn't available to view as a link in the assignment on the student end, which is why I was confused. 

sschackmann
Community Explorer

This would be a wonderful fix for those of us who utilize external tools for homework when using some publisher materials like McGraw-Hill Connect, etc.

melayna_moore
Community Participant

I agree that this is a small but work/life improvement fix. It can be a real nuisance when you created a whole assignment and then realize you forgot to add a rubric. This means you have to go back into the assignment change the settings. Leave the assignment to add the rubric. Then go back into the assignment to change the settings as an external tool assignment. This could also be fixed by having the ability to add the rubric while creating the assignment instead of after you have saved it.

tfjackso
Community Explorer

Come on! Do this!!