cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTI External Tools - Ability to Add Rubric

About Idea Conversations
In the Canvas Community Ideas space, you can share, converse, and rate idea conversations related to software improvements to Canvas products.

LTI External Tools - Ability to Add Rubric

This is a resurrected feature: LTI External Tools and Rubrics

The original text provided by the one and only Chris Hofer is as follows:

"When creating an Assignment in a course that uses the Submission Type of External Tool (Example: Turnitin LTI app), there isn't a way to add a Canvas rubric after the Assignment settings are saved.  The work-around for this is to create an Assignment the normal way (and not selecting External Tool as the Submission Type), and then you can add your rubric.  Next, go back into the editing screen of the Assignment, and change the Submission Type to External Tool.  You can then access your rubric via the SpeedGrader for grading students.  It would be nice to be able to also have an "Add Rubric" button on the screen for those assignments submitted through an External Tool."

I don't think I could say it better. We really need this to smooth out the not-so-smooth workflow of adding a rubric to a Turnitin assignment. With how heavily many institutions use Turnitin, this is not so much a feature request as it is a "must."

(1)
61 Comments
Surveyor

With Turnitin migrating all customers to their LTI tool, this feature would help customers maintain the same functionality offered by the existing Turnitin Legacy integration.

Navigator II

Schools that are using outcomes in rubrics to capture measurements of course, sub-account, and account-level outcomes mastery don't want their instructors to use the TII rubrics to grade assignments and pass back grades; they want their instructors to use Canvas rubrics to assess mastery of those aligned outcomes. As we get closer and closer to the retirement of the Turnitin (Legacy) API, implementation of this feature idea will become ever more pressing.

Community Member

Absolutely.  

What if they add the ability to attach a Rubric to any assignment in the course.    Meaning that after you create a Rubric in the Manage Rubrics section of the Outcomes tab, you can then link it to a assignment.

Community Member

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. January 6, 2016 - Wed. April 6, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

Community Member

Just to note also, at this point students cannot view the rubrics at all when using the Turnitin external tool. What use is a rubric on the assignment if the student can't see it?

Navigator II

asagun​, I will admit right up front that the interim solution I'm proposing is clunky, but it's one that I employed in previous LMSs: I create the rubric, take a screenshot of it, and embed it at the bottom of the assignment instructions.

Community Member

I did figure out a way for students to view it, but in my opinion it is even clunkier than the one stefaniesanders​ suggested. If students access the assignment through Grades, there is an option to view the rubric in the upper right corner on the Submission Details page (see below). This is definitely not ideal, but the only workaround I've found other than taking a screenshot.

156476_pastedImage_0.png

Surveyor

Users at our institution have had a VERY difficult time transitioning away from the legacy Turnitin API for this very reason. I've been telling them that assessment tools often exist in the external 3rd party assignment tool (in this case Turnitin) and may conflict with the ideologies that Canvas was created by. However the rubrics in the online submission type clearly outweigh the ones that may exist in Turnitin (according to those who have been using the legacy API up until now).

My hope is that Instructure and Turnitin can work something out that will allow the Online submission type to be used along with the LTI API version of their tool in a more seamless fashion so that it matches the user experience that is had via the legacy API.

While the Canvas and Turnitin blog posting by Dallas Hulsey is awesome, it cannot overcome the perceived limitations of the new way of working with the LTI API version. Lack of the ability for Canvas to conveniently display rubrics to the student is an absolutely huge disappointment thus far.

Community Member

I would love to see this workflow improvement as well!

I wanted to add that it appears that you can do the workaround starting from an existing LTI assignment:

- Change the submission type to something else (like Online submission)

- Re-save the assignment settings

- Attach a Rubric per the usual instructions

- Go back in and switch the submission type back to LTI.

In my limited testing, this allowed me to see the Rubric in the Speedgrader, without permanently affecting the hookup to the LTI tool and without messing with the existing submissions.

This workflow (understandably) makes everyone nervous, especially when students have already made submissions to the LTI assignment, so it would be great to be able to add the Rubric without changing the assignment settings.

Community Member

We are hoping to do a fair bit of LTI development for assignments that need to be graded by rubrics in Canvas. This would be a huge help!