Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTI External Tools - Ability to Add Rubric

LTI External Tools - Ability to Add Rubric

(32)
This is a resurrected feature: LTI External Tools and Rubrics

The original text provided by the one and only Chris Hofer is as follows:

"When creating an Assignment in a course that uses the Submission Type of External Tool (Example: Turnitin LTI app), there isn't a way to add a Canvas rubric after the Assignment settings are saved.  The work-around for this is to create an Assignment the normal way (and not selecting External Tool as the Submission Type), and then you can add your rubric.  Next, go back into the editing screen of the Assignment, and change the Submission Type to External Tool.  You can then access your rubric via the SpeedGrader for grading students.  It would be nice to be able to also have an "Add Rubric" button on the screen for those assignments submitted through an External Tool."

I don't think I could say it better. We really need this to smooth out the not-so-smooth workflow of adding a rubric to a Turnitin assignment. With how heavily many institutions use Turnitin, this is not so much a feature request as it is a "must."

84 Comments
Jeff_F
Adventurer II

OK, but if this is not an intended behavior then one may assume it is not 'supported'. A future code update could very well remove this work around.

tbunag
Community Member

Are there any additional updates on this?  We currently have both the API and LTI in our instance of Canvas, and switching is going to be incredibly painful thanks to this problem.

epokryfki
Surveyor

I am also curious if there are any updates on this feature that would be very valuable for our school district.

awilliams
Surveyor

In the process of asking our faculty to measure account-level outcomes by way of importing a rubric, we've found that for faculty using publisher LTI's (think MyMathLab or Launchpad), they aren't able to perform this task because of the inability to attach a rubric to an assignment created by the publisher LTI's. So, just another reason we need this functionality.

gonzales
Community Member

Is there any update on when this feature might be added? Now that we are using the LTI for Turnitin this is a huge problem for us. Faculty currently have to create the assignment and then add the rubric. Once that is done they have to edit the assignment to change it to the LTI. This takes a long time when you have 40 assignments that use Turnitin. It is also a problem that the student cannot see the rubric on the assignment.

epokryfki
Surveyor

I am ery pleased to see so much support for this idea.

Next year I am switching the grading of my courses to competency based, and the ability to have a rubric and outcomes to all assignments of my course is crucial, so I hope that by then this feature could be ready and done.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

lisa_moore
Community Member

I just submitted an idea asking for better Turn It In integration so that I can use both the plagiarism checker and Canvas Outcomes to track data from standards-based grading. I saw your idea after I had already posted. I do appreciate the work-around suggestion. I will try that in the meantime... 

lisa_moore
Community Member

I just asked about this today. It looks like this is not yet possible. I'm glad to know I am not the only one advocating for this. 

whitman_11
Surveyor

I want to echo what others have said above. I just gave failing grades for a whole batch of assignments, wondering why the hell the students ignored the rubric, and now I'm hearing from them that they can't see it. Now I've finally found this discussion, and I agree: This is ridiculous! It needs to be fixed right away. I'll pass on to my students the view-via-Grades workaround, but this is a big disincentive to use the rubrics that we are encouraged so much to use now.

w_weerasekera
Community Member

What use is a rubric if the student can't see it? If the rubric has actual answers on it, obviously you won't want the student to see the rubric.

w_weerasekera
Community Member

I am not sure how much progress has been made on this but Canvas should allow rubrics to be added to an assignment before or after the due date! Give the flexibility to the user, please do not decide it for us. I want to add a rubric to an assignment that uses Turnitin LTI AFTER  the students have made submissions. If I add it before students make submissions students would then see the rubric which has actual answers on it - which is something most would want to avoid! Canvas does not allow me to do this. The only workaround is to dissociate Turnitin after students have done their submissions, then assign the rubric, reconnect with Turnitin and pray that Canvas will try to link up the old Turnitin files. Very risky indeed! What if Canvas is unable to reconnect to the earlier submissions!!?

Also, there is no place in Canvas that indicates what rubric has been associated with which assignment. Associating/dissociating a rubric should be able to be done without having to go to the Assignment page!

RobDitto
Navigator

If your institution is a Turnitin customer and can switch to the new Framework, rubrics become will available again in the usual way for Canvas assignments. (I'm guessing this will be true for other account-level similarity detection platforms.) However, those framework-integrated services aren't LTI tools.

I believe votes here should remain meaningful for customer interest in connecting Canvas rubrics with External Tool assignments.

Hildi_Pardo
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I was directed to this Idea after submitting a ticket reporting that our high school English teachers couldn't add a Rubric to a Google Cloud Assignment after they had clicked Save -- the sort of thing where the teacher might not have been done writing the directions for the Assignment, and simply did not add the Rubric in the first step.

I have voted and will direct the HS English teachers to vote here as well.  (It's somewhat discouraging to see this idea was created Dec 2015.)  

ronmarx
Community Member

I know this post is from more than a year ago, but the Focus Group link is broken.

ronmarx
Community Member

Hang in there, and keep this idea alive. It's in Product Radar now, according to above posts, and continued attention on these ideas keeps the development fuel at Instructure at FULL.

GideonWilliams
Adventurer II

Sorely needed for Office365 integration!

mclawhc1
Surveyor

Please get this into working since when I upload a google cloud document I don't remember to add a rubric first and then when I remember I can't once I add the google cloud document. So frustrating

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar‌ idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

morgan_taylor
Community Member

If I change it to no submission AFTER students have submitted the assignment, will it remove their submissions?