[Rubrics] Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

I would like to see some additional options for Rubrics.  Specifically, it would be nice to be able to:

• Insert a new rubric row anywhere within an existing rubric.
  • Drag and drop an existing rubric row to another location in the same rubric.

Use case: I was building a rubric with 40+ rows for an instructor.  After about the 40th row of the rubric, I realized I had forgotten to add a criterion around row 20.  So, I had to delete rows 21 and beyond...insert the row I missed, and then re-add the rows I had initially added.  I soon learned you have to be really careful when building rubrics with lots of rows.

Added to Theme

Improved rubric creation and usability Theme Status: In Development

298 Comments
khull
Community Member

Hi Deactivated user​  How about this:

- Ungraded rubrics that students can use for peer review

- Rubrics that the instructor can use to score students' peer reviews (i.e., in the same assignment as the student-usable rubric)

The scenario: I want my students to review each other's essay drafts.  I want them to use a rubric so they will be applying specific criteria to show what they see as the strengths and areas to improve in each essay, and I want them to add per-criterion comments and holistic / overall comments.  Then to help them become more effective peer reviewers (and writers), I want to be able to grade their peer reviews using a rubric designed for the purpose, scoring them on how well they did on their peer reviews for the assignment.

This is typical for what we do in English composition classes: Students peer-review, and the instructor guides them to write more-effective peer responses.  But what's relatively easy in the classroom is difficult to accomplish currently in Canvas using rubrics.

Note: The Rubric for Informational Text with No Point Value feature request also relates to what I'm describing here.

Thanks for your consideration.

-Klint

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you, everyone, for all of these marvelous suggestions.  My colleague, Deactivated user​, and I will be collecting and evaluating all of these suggestions for future planning...  the process starts soon, and I expect we can share a few updates as things progress.  Thank you, thank you, for making your voices a part of the process.

Kind regards,

Jason

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

My top one is the ability to create a no-points (at all) rubric - in sense that there is no adding up anywhere - use scales high to low

i can create the toes of rubric i need in Turnitin and Blackboard but not at all in Canvas ...what i need is probably also crucial to other UK HEIs and those in Europe

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Nicola,

For those of us who are not as familiar with the UK market, could you give use cases for a no points grading rubric?

Thanks,

Scott

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@scottdennis ​...

I think my other Feature Idea might help here: .  Also, see the comment further down in that Feature Idea with my screen shot of the yes/no criteria.

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

@scottdennis  I raised a feature idea on this that swiftly got archived -

essentially we use a feedback form with a sliding scale of high to low with NO numbers or letter grades at all. see Henley coursework feedback proforma TEMPLATE.dotx - Google Docs

We have tried to create assessment criteria with rubrics associated but what ever we do we HAVE to assign points. We do not want any points at all in either set up as these have nothing to do with the actual grade.

We have tried all the options suggested by the support team here in the UK see links below including hiding points but then the rubric does ot work that well. Ultimately there is no way to create rubrics we can use or that academic staff are prepared to use  that do not require points in some way.

Part 1: http://www.screencast.com/t/Ha2bmyedb2;

Part 2: http://www.screencast.com/t/MB9Gy8zL

Part 3: http://www.screencast.com/t/fz0mytGg

Part 4/5 (sorry got my part 4's and 5's mixed up!) : http://screencast.com/t/FXuMw3sSPY

I recently had a webcon with Cosme about the moderated marking functions he is working on. They look great and exactly what we want to use but as you will have to use embedded rubrics - we would not be able to use this feature at all. I understand the University of Birmingham are not using rubrics  maybe because the rubrics do not work for them or they have some other internal system foe eAssessment.

I have exhausted all lines of enquiry to get rubrics to work for us so unless you can find a way or build it into this feature request it is going to be very hard for me to get buy into Canvas over Blackboard

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

vrs07nl​,

Thank you for continuing to share your feedback with us and give specific examples of how the software needs to change in order to be more useful to you and others at your institution.  As Deactivated user​ referenced earlier in the thread, our Product team is looking at a variety of feedback sources and working on a plan going forward for rubrics.  I hope that the changes we make will make rubrics more useful for people who handle grading and assessment the ways you describe.

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

@scottdennis ​ I have been trying various set ups with rubrics. For now i think I can live with the fact that the rubric we need to use will have to display numbers. HOWEVER

a) when you select a rubric to hide score total for assessment results - it only does that (see image 1) .. can we stop it showing the total at the bottom of the rubric?

b) if a student views their feedback via grades and select to view the rubric it does not show the total at the bottom.

Only if they view via speedgrader do they see image one. This is confusing for them and academics

rubric 1.png             rubrics 4.png

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

That's an important point, Nicola.  I can see where the inconsistency could be confusing for students.  Thanks for pointing this out.

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

will you be able to do anything about this?