Late Grades Option (toggle)

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-01-06)  

It would be nice if canvas would give the option to mark grades late or not.  Sometimes teachers set deadlines to help pace students, but don't want the assignments marked as late in the grade book.  Is it possible to make late marks an option that can be turned on or off depending on the assignment?

21 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

This would be a nice addition to SpeedGrader. It would be really wonderful to be able to override the "late" flag in the grade book. I know that it's possible to do make adjustments on a student-by-student basis with differentiated assignments, but as Angela said, sometimes deadlines are set to help pace students. This would be great in open, more student-paced, environments.

macaulayl
Community Member

Agreed. I love that late assignments turn red, but I would like to be able to make that disappear from the gradebook if I want. I know there was a setting for this in Bb, but now I forget what it was called!

kendra_greener
Community Novice

I agree that this would be really helpful. I use deadlines for students that are in class, and I love the color-coding. However, if a student misses time for illness or field trips their work is still marked late. That's challenging for keeping track of work that's actually late vs. students with extra time. The same is true for students with modified assignments from IEPs or 504 plans.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

182437_pastedImage_6.pngWe appreciate you, and the submission of your idea. Your dialogue helps our product teams prioritize feature development. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially, yes. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. Feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and influence product direction.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Comments from Instructure

This idea is in development as part of Priority: Gradebook Enhancements‌ phase 1.

Some of the phase 1 features are available for testing via the Focus Group: New Gradebook‌.  If you do not have access you can request it through your local Canvas admin or CSM (customer success manager).

monicae_fitch
Community Novice

This is a great idea because it is often hard to keep track of which students turned assignments in late. This would be helpful for tracking students' late assignments. s

dwanna_mcneely
Community Novice

This is a great option because students miss so many days of school and this would help to keep track and keep grades up to date.

ashleyc_yewcic
Community Novice

Great Idea.  I have a lot of students that miss school and I have do dates but accept late work for my class.  When I see a lot of red or late in the gradebook it not only messes with me but mess with the kids when they are keeping track of their grades.  When posting in our gradebook it puts little red flags all over and my students freak out.  It is nice when you have a longer assignment but start grading earlier.

nicole_jusko
Community Novice

This is completely true.  When using individualized learning, as well as teaching a lot of English Language learners and students with IEPs due dates are assigned, but  in special cases, extended time is always given.  It would be helpful to be able to mark differently for these students.