Late Grades Option (toggle)

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-01-06)  

It would be nice if canvas would give the option to mark grades late or not.  Sometimes teachers set deadlines to help pace students, but don't want the assignments marked as late in the grade book.  Is it possible to make late marks an option that can be turned on or off depending on the assignment?

21 Comments
wilsonco
Community Novice

Working for an international school, it would be helpful to have assignments due on a rolling schedule, so that those in APAC have their homework due before those in other time regions.  One of the challenges is to properly set a time that works for everyone on the due date.  Either family time is getting eaten into or there is incentive to stay up late.  10 pm for all time regions would be especially useful.

wilsonco
Community Novice

With respect to people's personal time, I feel strongly that Sundays should not be counted against a student on the late calculations.  It is important for students to have a day of adequate rest, not a day of catching up on homework.  Please allow for a toggle box to combine Sundays and Mondays in the calculations of late work.  Thank you!

kmeeusen
Community Champion

@wilsonco 

As a matter of policy, I never set a due date to be a weekend day, a holiday observed by the school, or during a break between terms (unless there is a contract for an incomplete grade). If my students were in a traditional classroom, I would not expect them to submit an assignment or take an exam on Sundays, and don't think I should just because my courses are online. Just because we can work 24/7 online, doesn't mean we should have to. There must be balance somewhere.

Finding that sweet spot for students in other times zones can be challenging!

Kelley

Steven_S
Community Champion

Exempting days from the late policy is actually alreadypart of another idea that you might want to support: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/14976-more-late-penalty-options 

I see the need for both that idea and this idea to exempt individual assignments from the late policy.  This idea is taken a step further by: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10441-separate-late-policies-for-individual-assignments which would actually allow entirely different late policies to be set for different assignments.

I would also like to gradually apply the late penalty, because without a LMS I would never have a split second cut-off that started a late penalty or multiplied that penalty.  Gradually applying the penalty takes advantage of the computer's unavoidably exact calculations to soften the penalty for those that are seconds or minutes late when the penalty is applied per day.  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/15339-gradual-automatic-late-penalties 

Community Member

Can this pleaaaaase happen. This year there are so many students that get to turn in things late for a variety of reasons, and it is always difficult to remove the late points. This is the one feature I'm waiting on. 

erinnelson
Community Novice

Please please make this happen. I am using Perusall and when the grades sync to Canvas they are all listed as late. That is stressful for students (and not useful since it doesn't differentiate between actual late submissions and those turned in on time since they are all synced at once). I do not have time to turn off "late" for each assignment for each student individually. Since I don't have a late penalty anyway, I really really want all the "lates" in the Gradebook to go away.

LoriBurson
Community Member

I want to change latework to ontime work from speedgrader, while I am grading.  As of now, you have to leave speedgrader to do this, making assigning a grade 3 times longer than is should be.

Thanks.

Steven_S
Community Champion

What is the timeline for this, and is it possible to complete before sunsetting classic quizzes?  New quizzes puts the practice quizzes in the gradebook, which means the late penalty applies.  Then students do not see as much retake value in their practice quizzes, because their scores go down instead of up.  We want them to repeat those practice quizzes to study for exams significantly after the individual due dates of each practice quiz.  More urgently, module rules use the after-late-penalty grade to confirm the "score at least" rules.  That creates situations where students may not be able to meet a module rule because of the late penalty on a practice quiz.  Manually removing late penalties after every repeat attempt for every student is not practical.  This idea would resolve both issues by allowing instructors to exempt practice quizzes from the late penalty.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-01-06)

Effective with the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-10-16) release, instructors will be able to change statuses directly in Speedgrader.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New