Late submission deduction interval counts weekdays

0 Likes
(10)

Currently the Late submission deduction interval offers the choice between days and hours. k-12 generally does not count weekends when applying late work penalties. An option to count weekdays only would be very appreciated.

11 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

CoachK8
Community Member

My suggestion is there is an option to assign a certain percentage deduction for late work regardless of how late the submission is. In terms of online learning at the secondary school level, I don't know many teachers that deduct points by the day or hour. 

Steven_S
Community Champion

I use deductions be day at the college level, and I am sure my students would appreciate it if I did not count weekends.  It would also be nice to be able to exclude school holidays. 

christopheryoun
Community Member

It would also be nice to have more options for intervals. 

jeff_pence
Community Participant

Please add this as K12 NEEDS it!

Having the option to count weekend as one day or not at all useful.  In a dream world, this would be toggleable on the assignment level...

aholcombe
Community Member

Canvas needs to sync with the school's calendar... this seems like it would be a fairly easy things to do. This way, students would not get late points deducted when school is not in session, but would over school days. It is not okay to expect students to submit work when school is not in session, or to be penalized for it.

aholcombe
Community Member

A possible solution would be to add in a feature on the assignment settings separate from the due date that says  "start deducting late points at ____ date."

AdriëneGeurts
Community Member

Indeed this would be a much wanted addition; 

A possible solution would be to add in a feature on the assignment settings separate from the due date that says  "start deducting late points at ____ date."

Kcbilly
Community Member

Agreed. In the K-12 educational realm, we need a way to exclude weekends from the "day" count when using the late policy.

scottm_balay
Community Member

It would also be nice to have different policies for different assignment categories. Even to be able to apply to individual students (IEP/504 that could override the standard settings)

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.