Learning Mastery - Provide "Average" option for calculation method

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

There are several calculation methods for a specific outcome in Learning Mastery (i.e. number of times, decaying average, etc.) A simple average across all demonstrations would be beneficial.

62 Comments
ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@pembridj,

Is this feature idea requesting the same functionality? 

Cody

pembridj
Community Member

It is similar. I interpret the feature you shared as one that averages across all outcomes. That would also be beneficial. 

I think what I was more focused on was adding the "average" as a calculation method for an individual outcome. 

Outcomes.JPG

ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for the clarification, @pembridj. I have moved your idea so it is open for conversation. 

ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

mieke_hoing
Community Participant

We would definitely use the normal average if it were available!

amy_hasinoff
Community Participant

Yes, can you please add a simple average as an option? I agree that this should be there -- I am trying to use outcomes for program assessment and a simple average would be the most logical option for my use. It doesn't need to be the default option but I was really surprised to learn it wasn't an option at all. Thanks for considering it, I hope it's not too difficult to add.

amy_hasinoff
Community Participant

And, could anyone tell me if the workaround I came up with is correct for getting, in effect, a simple average of all scores on an outcome?

Let's say I have an outcome that appears in exactly 3 assignments for the course. If I select "decaying average" of 33%/66%, meaning: "Most recent result counts as 33% of mastery weight, average of all other results count as 66% of weight."

Then if the three scores are 5, 4, and 3, in any order, the "decayed average" result would be actually the simple average of: 4?

Likewise, if the outcome appears twice: 50%/50% means that scores of 4 and 5, in any order average to 4.5?

Thanks!

catherine_geer
Community Explorer

I use Outcomes and rubrics for all of my assignments and it is a major problem that mean is not a calculation method option. Instead, I have to choose decaying average and change the last item percentage for every new assignment. Just let me average!

ctjune
Community Explorer

Can't agree with pembridj's suggestion anymore. The relevant Canvas report includes only raw data without calculated score. Currently we are using the raw data to produce a dashboard for better visualization of data. However, the lack of calculated score in the report results in a discrepancy between the dashboard and the score in the mastery gradebook. Adding a simply average should resolve the decrepancy.

michael_deschry
Community Explorer

Please Canvas, make a simple average calculation possible.

I don't understand why it is not there!