Learning Mastery - Provide "Average" option for calculation method

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

There are several calculation methods for a specific outcome in Learning Mastery (i.e. number of times, decaying average, etc.) A simple average across all demonstrations would be beneficial.

62 Comments
emagee
Community Member

Agreed. We really need this feature!

jshaad
Community Novice

Yes please!!!

bgiron
Community Member

Here, Here.   Please add this feature, or at least tell us you are looking into it.

stijn_castel
Community Explorer

When using 'outcomes', you have to choose how Canvas will calculate the overall scoring of every outcome. You can now choose between several options (see screenshot in Dutch), one of which is the 'decaying average'. Not an option is a normal 'average'. I would really like that to be one of the options since all our assessments are evenly important!

stijn_castel_0-1638691459870.png

jared
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Can anyone who has responded in support of this idea explain why one would want to use a straight average of assessments to calculate mastery?

toddb
Community Member

Our district also wants this option.  However, we want the average of the last 3.  If there are 5 assignments on one outcome that it only averages the last 3.

catherine_geer
Community Explorer

I teach technical classes which cover a broad range of skills. When I'm assessing an outcome like "documents the design cycle of a project" it is assessed on different types of projects, but it is equally important on all of them. If I only look at the highest or weight one project more than others (decaying average), students may skip a lower weight project which means they loose out on disparate skill sets. So, they demonstrate mastery of design cycle on the motors project so they skip the sensors project. But in the next level class they need all of those skills. 

Though fundamentally my reason is that the aggregate methods listed aren't exhaustive and implementing straight average isn't a huge lift. Why NOT include it?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: On Beta
  Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2022-07-16)

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2022-07-16) 

lrobertson4
Community Member

We would very much like this option. Does it exist or what workarounds do folks use? THanks, L