Let iPhone-owning students upload to Arc Video

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

We have nursing courses where students are required to video record clinical activities, sometimes lasting up to a half-hour, which they upload to Arc-enabled assignments.  The instructor reviews these video with comments on the timeline, a critical feedback feature!  Some students use iPhones, but they cannot upload their work to their Arc collections from their iPhones.  But Android 5.7 users can.

Nothing could be more persuasive to get this done without delay than the release notes of January 23, which state: "In this Canvas by Instructure update, the (Android 5.7) app supports Arc assignment submissions for students" (parenthetical is mine).  

This would be of immense value to students who rely on their iPhones but are challenged by the transfer of those videos to their iMacs, whose tools are less than user-friendly.  FYI, we already recommend that students compress the videos on their iPhones before uploading, as the default sizes in HD are usually way too large to handle over "home internet connection" speeds.  

The ability for iPhone users to upload their videos to their Arc collections on the same footing as their Android 5.7 peers is absolutely essential.  It needs to happen, now, with all due respect.  

Glen Gummess,

Academic Technology

University of St. Francis,

Joliet

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-8953-canvas-by-instructure-release-notes-ios-317 .

7 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi GGummess

I am never a fan of inconsistencies, and since it is students who are driving the mobile learning revolution I would like to see this work on all mobile devices.

Currently the feature idea process is currently on hold while it undergoes revisions. You can learn more at Changes are closer for Canvas Community Feature Ideas , and you can get a sneak preview here Changes are closer for Canvas Community Feature Ideas and even participate in the discussions here Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space . Once the new process is in place your idea will be evaluated by the Community Team, and if this ideas opens for voting I will support it.

I hope this helps,

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Great news!!!

Idea is currently in development
Jeff_F
Community Champion

GGummess‌ nice suggestion here with the iPhone upload idea.  One challenge I've faced with use of student generated video is occasional difficulties due to the rather large file size. Use of the 4K or the HD with the high frame rate can be a problem for the longer videos.  But that is a hiccup easily overcome with a change of the video quality settings.  Cheers~!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas by Instructure Release Notes (iOS 3.18)  .

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

GGummess Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @kmeeusen  Thank You  &  @Jeff_F  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed