Let students view assignments from the top

0 Likes

What students see on an assignment page is now quite different from the instructor's view. While I appreciate that the submission options are now bigger and more obvious for students, I cannot understand the rationale behind the rest of the changes.

When students open an assignment, they are now automatically taken to the submission options at the bottom of the page. And then they have to scroll up to the top to see the actual assignment details! Moreover, if you have added a rubric, it is hidden unless students happen to notice the very inconspicuous "View Rubric" dropdown. 

Why this change at all? I can only see it leading to unnecessary confusion with students missing both assignment instructions and rubrics. It is very clumsy and it truly feels like a bug. Have assignments display from the top so students can progress logically, scrolling down as they read through the instructions before submitting, and please show the rubric by default. 

Tags (2)
7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@Estefania  Thanks for sharing this feedback. It sounds like you're describing a recent change. Has your school enabled Assignment Enhancements? And after you confirm that, would you provide a screencast that shows the behavior you've described from the student viewpoint?

Thanks. 

Estefania
Community Explorer

Thank you, @Stef_retired ! I am waiting to hear back about Assignment Enhancements. I am attaching the screencast here in the meantime. I first open the assignment as an instructor and I see the familiar view. When I go to student view, I am taken to the end of the page and have to scroll up to see the assignment details. 

I contacted Canvas support thinking it may be an error and they kindly checked that it was not just an issue arising from the "Student View" option. Apparently the behaviour would be the same for students.

https://ucc.cloud.panopto.eu/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=9a5bfbd3-9fd6-4782-9116-ad9700e4503e

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

The screencast is very helpful, @Estefania ; I can confirm by viewing it that Assignment Enhancements have been turned on for this course.

I'm doing some checking to see if the behavior demonstrated in the screencast would be the same for students in a published course as it is in Student View for the currently unpublished course. I'll update the thread when I have more info.

Estefania
Community Explorer

Thanks, @Stef_retired ! I appreciate it.

jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

Hi, @Estefania!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and including the screencast to make it clear what you were seeing. This was an inadvertent change that was made while fixing a separate focus issue. We have fixed this to work as expected once again, making sure that students see the assignment from the top instead of being focused to the options for submission. 

Estefania
Community Explorer

That's great to hear, @jsailor. Thank you very much for looking into it!

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived