Let us schedule a Publish Date / Time for Content Pages

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Please allow us the ability to set a specific date and/or time for content pages to be published ahead of time.

It would be nice to be able to schedule those times in advance. There are times I don't want to publish something for students to see until after class and that requires remembering to go back and publish. Forgetting to do so only then creates chaos.  It'd be nice to just set those times once the page is designed and avoid those circumstances.

145 Comments
berrierm
Community Novice

Yes, this is an important feature to add.  At the outset of the course, I'd like to have only the first few modules visible to students so that the navigation doesn't look so overwhelming when they first open the course. Restricting availability (but still having the module be visible) is not a good substitute for this.  Students get overwhelmed seeing an entire semester's worth of content/assignments showing all at once when they first login to the course. It would be nice if we could either have new modules publish on a schedule, or have new modules completely invisible to students until they have completed previous requirements.

Why hasn't this no-brainer feature been added after four years of discussion?

marrsb
Community Member

I agree with EVERYONE! We all need to be able to schedule pages to release at a given date / time. The previous poster is right on point. This is a no-brainer function that seems essential to ease our workload and the functionality of this platform.

Thanks for your attention!

TabithaCI
Community Member

I would like this as well.

mh69
Community Member

I don't have time to read though the 7 pages of comments, but I can't imagine why this basic feature has been "Open for Conversation" for almost 4 years. Surely there has been enough conversation by now? This is pretty frustrating. I wish the dev team would either reject it (and let us know why) or move forward with it. 

cgustafs
Community Novice

I desperately need this feature!  I post take-home quizzes on a "page," and I don't want at page published until the quiz is meant to be released.  That requires sitting at my computer at that time!  And if I forget, all hell breaks loose!

canvas77
Community Explorer

I also strongly support adding this feature. Please implement it asap! 

Rupshur
Community Member

This idea went up for voting in 2017 and must have lost or something. I attempted to make a new thread to give this idea new life. It was archived. This is something that other LMS platforms offer and would be such a relief for educators to have. What needs to be done to move this idea into the voting stage again?

My vote is YES, we need this feature in order to have peace of mind and be more efficient and effective in our roles.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

canvas77
Community Explorer

Please let us schedule publishing on Canvas! This is not the same as setting the available dates/times because if the item is published, it will still be visible to students. There are several reasons why you won't want an item to be visible to students prior to some set schedule, but there is no way to do this on Canvas currently. This would help me and others with planning and optimizing the management of my online courses.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I/we can do to advocate for this idea. 

Rupshur
Community Member

In order to get traction, this needs more ratings. Click on the stars at the top. The 1,000 + kudos are not being counted - my understanding is that they are tracking the stars now. We have to rate each idea in order for it be seriously considered.

christina_smit1
Community Member

I agree!