Let us schedule a Publish Date / Time for Content Pages

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Please allow us the ability to set a specific date and/or time for content pages to be published ahead of time.

It would be nice to be able to schedule those times in advance. There are times I don't want to publish something for students to see until after class and that requires remembering to go back and publish. Forgetting to do so only then creates chaos.  It'd be nice to just set those times once the page is designed and avoid those circumstances.

145 Comments
facsteacher
Community Member

The best thing to happen to the Pages option would be if a schedule to publish date/time option was installed.  This way a teacher could plan and create a page, post it to the module and not have to remember to publish is prior to students needing it.  Especially during this distance/remote learning time!  Thank you for considering this as a pages improvement.  

Michellek
Community Explorer

Teachers should definitely be able to schedule assignments for future dates. 

cbb22
Community Member

Is this idea still in the works or just in the discussion phase? I have the exact same desire. Because "publish" has to do with visibility, and making an assignment or discussion as "available" has to do with access, but you can only schedule the latter, it creates a frustrating situation where you either have to remember to manually publish things or publish them early, but then all the work is visible in advance and can give (young) students anxiety if they see a lot but they can't access it.

In short, it would be really useful to be able to schedule things to publish (and unpublish too) without having to remember to do it manually.

ADTomcik
Community Member

I would really like to see this option available. Sometimes I don't want the students to access a certain page until a specific time. Multiple times a day I get a content link error message. I would just like to be able to schedule pages like I do assignments. 

canvas77
Community Explorer

Are there updates on this yet? I'm still here sitting by my computer to manually publish an item at the correct time... 😩😔

sd2737
Community Explorer

It really is amazing that this option hasn't been added after all this time.

kerniks
Community Member

Just adding my voice, in case it does any good:  The ability to schedule a date for a page to be published this would be an **extremely** useful feature.

naumoski
Community Explorer

This has been a major pain point. Has this been discussed recently? 

nmoreno5
Community Member

It is criminal -- simply criminal -- that this common feature has not been implemented in Canvas after almost four years of "discussion." Who's making decisions over there?

j_a_boggs
Community Member

Ah, lovely - another basic feature that has been requested for years and years without so much as a response from Canvas. Like the anonymous posting option and the ability to turn off Canvas messaging or at least set automatic replies, here is something else that would be standard in any other system but takes 6+ years to implement in Canvas. I have one day to plan my lessons for the upcoming week, and the need to take care of this nonsense all at once for the upcoming week is neither unexpected nor uncommon. Maddening.