Let us schedule a Publish Date / Time for Content Pages

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Please allow us the ability to set a specific date and/or time for content pages to be published ahead of time.

It would be nice to be able to schedule those times in advance. There are times I don't want to publish something for students to see until after class and that requires remembering to go back and publish. Forgetting to do so only then creates chaos.  It'd be nice to just set those times once the page is designed and avoid those circumstances.

145 Comments
nharrison7
Community Member

I would like this feature as well.  Unpublishing modules does NOT work when students already went ahead. Remembering to publish them manually is a pain. 

I am shocked to learn that after 3 years this very needed feature, has not been added. 

s_untersee
Community Novice

I am incredulous that this topic has been alive for so long and has not moved beyond "Open for conversation." Being able to plan ahead is such a basic part of teaching it should have been a feature before anyone even raised it for discussion!

perseus_leroy
Community Explorer

How is this not a feature in Canvas yet?! There are many times I do not want students to see things ahead of time. PLEASE allow us to set a publish date/time! 

Morgan58
Community Member

oh I absolutely agree - so many times, i would love to be able to "pre-schedule" a quiz for a certain date as students would be able to see all quiz questions before taking the quiz if the quiz were published before the actual quiz date. 

If anyone comes up with a way to have that accomplished, I'd love to be among the first to be included in the loop.

Great to be able to jump in on the comments here

lisa_fishburn
Community Explorer

We have been with Canvas since July and our colleagues are crying out for this feature. 

IanMP
Community Member

As mentioned above, this feature is something that is essential with content that need to be made available at a particular time.

Rather than relying on the instructor to click the button right at the start of an exam, an automated start time would be much better for everyone involved. The students already have enough stressors in these times. Waiting for the exam to be opened after its scheduled start time is one that doesn't have to be there.

danielle_wilson
Community Explorer

Currently in Canvas, you can publish an entire module to unlock, or become available to students, at a specific date. You can also do the exact same thing with assignments, quizzes, and even files. So why can't we do this Pages? As we are moving more and more content online, it would be very helpful to control when specific pages are available to students. For instance, I have a module on a specific topic, like Diabetes Mellitus. I have created multiple content pages for sub-topics of Diabetes Mellitus.

1. Module: Diabetes Mellitus

1. Pathophysiology & Pharmacology of Orals
    2. Pharmacology of Non-insulin Injectables
    3. Patient Assessment and Initial Therapy
    4. Combination Therapy

On each of those pages, there are links to overviews, written/typed content, videos, recorded lectures, documents, discussions, and assignments/quizzes. We do not want students to open the page on Non-insulin injectables until week 2, after we have covered and completed the content for Orals. It is time-consuming and cumbersome to go through and lock each document and assignment. AND, the typed content on those pages would still be visible to students.

It would be helpful to control when a page is available in advance. Or at the very least, in the module requirements, allow us to lock a page until a specific date instead of having it open the minute someone views the previous page.

Usernames
Community Member

I would appreciate this feature as well. Is it being developed?

abrasley
Community Member

100  % agree with this. I could create and design much more effectively with this option.

art4leeurs
Community Novice

Please, please add this feature to content pages!! It would make life so much easier. I am currently on a leave of absence but want to still publish my course modules and content pages for my sub to use. I could schedule the whole week or even the entire time I am to be out!!